kitten in the car...

leia2481

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot, make sure the windows are locked in the back, I had a frightening experience of someone figuring out how to open the windows. This is especially true with foreign made cars b/c the window buttons "rock".

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're traveling far, I suggest putting them in a larger carrier, with enough room for a small litterbox. Also strongly recommend putting towels or a blanket in the bottom of the carrier, as they may urinate in the cage if they are frightened, and they will be soaking wet!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I would recommend leaving her in the carrier. That way she won't distract you from your driving as you will always know where she's at.

Putting the seat belt on the carrier is a good idea. I had put Much in her carrier and thought I had the belt latched. But when I turned a corner, the poor thing went rolling in the carrier across the seat. I stopped as soon as I could and belted her in. She forgave me. I now double-check the latches.

Having your kitten in a carrier also helps if you have to brake hard. She won't become a flying object.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalsmum

Hiya all, after reading this interesting thread i just wondered - Where have some of you been travelling to with your cats (5 hr journeys?) Do you take them on holiday or something?
I used to take three of my cats on 4 1/2hr car rides at least twice a month. They loved it. That's how far I lived from my mother at the time and I'd come home to visit her on the occasional weekend. Never a problem.

I also have to chime in here and agree with everyone that a cat should be in a carrier when travelling. Aside from the obvious dangers to both you and your cat that have been mentioned, keep in mind there are laws in a lot of areas that state if you are in an accident and there is an animal roaming free in your car (any kind.. dog, cat, rabbit... anything), the emergency teams will not help you out of your car while the animal is running loose and will wait until the animal services team shows up to restrain the animal before helping you. And I agree because it's a good idea for the rescue team's safety. They can't be much help to you if they're being attacked by your pet... and no matter how much of a sweetheart your cat/dog/etc may be, in a stressful situation like that, they could become scared or protective and attack the emergency workers. Well that, and when an emergency crew shows up on a scene they have no idea that Mr. Cuddles is just a big ball of purring lap fur

I would hate to think that any of my furkids or I would have to sit in a car waiting an hour for medical help just because the animal services team is on the other side of the county and I forgot to put my furkids in a carrier or a seatbelt (my dogs have doggie seatbelts).

Buckle up... you and your furkids... for everyone's safety.