Kitten In Need Of Help *urgent!!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently found a stray kitten wondering around my yard, I was able to catch him and bring him inside, he ate and drank, but he's so skinny it's like there's no muscle, just bone. He sleeps a lot (which I guess is normal for kittens, but he doesn't have any kitten like energy) and is really sweet. He went to the bathroom a couple times between yesterday and today. He still drinks a bit, but all day he hasn't eaten a thing, and he almost threw up earlier. I'm scared he's going to die, he's weak and it seems like he's getting worse, but it could just be that he's tired? Or maybe he has an upset stomach cause it was his first food in a while? I ended up having to force food in him, a few drops of vitamins, a bit of cream and wet cat food, but he choked some up after 20min, is there anything else I can do?? I really don't want him to die, if it gets too bad I'll take him to the vet of course, but I feel like if he starts eating he'll be much better, how do I help?!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know age? If not, photo please so we can give appropriate advice.

The most important thing is hydration, most the time. Cream and milk have lactose and cats are lactose intolerant. But watering down the cat food so he can lick it up is a good impulse. Mix it with water, unflavored pedialyte, juice from water packed tuna, or kitten formula. You can also offer human meat baby food (the small jars of puree with no garlic or onion). You can try dabbing a little of the food on the kittens nose which should encourage it to lick. If you have a small dish right under its face the little lick can lead to more. Do note that, very young kittens (under 4 weeks) should just be fed kitten formula, not a slurry.

If it won't lick anything then syringe feeding is needed. Just put the slurry in the syringe and slowly depress the plunger. Usually when it drip on their tongues they will reflexively swallow. Take it slow.

Offer as much as it will eat. Hopefully, once it gets its energy back it will get more interest in food. If you can't get it to eat and hold something down with 12 hours you should see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bluebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know age? If not, photo please so we can give appropriate advice.

The most important thing is hydration, most the time. Cream and milk have lactose and cats are lactose intolerant. But watering down the cat food so he can lick it up is a good impulse. Mix it with water, unflavored pedialyte, juice from water packed tuna, or kitten formula. You can also offer human meat baby food (the small jars of puree with no garlic or onion). You can try dabbing a little of the food on the kittens nose which should encourage it to lick. If you have a small dish right under its face the little lick can lead to more. Do note that, very young kittens (under 4 weeks) should just be fed kitten formula, not a slurry.

If it won't lick anything then syringe feeding is needed. Just put the slurry in the syringe and slowly depress the plunger. Usually when it drip on their tongues they will reflexively swallow. Take it slow.

Offer as much as it will eat. Hopefully, once it gets its energy back it will get more interest in food. If you can't get it to eat and hold something down with 12 hours you should see a vet.
He looks around 12-14 weeks to me, but it's hard to tell cause of how skinny he is, but here's a picture. And I've been putting a table spoon or so in him every other hour, and he seems to be keeping it down.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He looks very skinny.

The age makes formula less of an importance, yay! Just keep offering as much as he wants in small amounts. I would probably mix baby food with wet cat food so it is smooth enough to lick but has better nutrition than just watered down wet food. With the quantity he is eating a vet trip may be good so you can get one of the calorie dense perscription foods to make the little bit he is eating pack more of a punch. My little girl was just over a pound when I got her at 4 months old, a giant head on a skinny body. In the beginning she ate very little but with time and care she did improve.

If you pinch the skin between the shoulder blades does it go back down in less than 3 seconds? If it take more than 5 seconds you need a vet for sub q fluids to increase hydration.

Bluebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks very skinny.

The age makes formula less of an importance, yay! Just keep offering as much as he wants in small amounts. I would probably mix baby food with wet cat food so it is smooth enough to lick but has better nutrition than just watered down wet food. With the quantity he is eating a vet trip may be good so you can get one of the calorie dense perscription foods to make the little bit he is eating pack more of a punch. My little girl was just over a pound when I got her at 4 months old, a giant head on a skinny body. In the beginning she ate very little but with time and care she did improve.

If you pinch the skin between the shoulder blades does it go back down in less than 3 seconds? If it take more than 5 seconds you need a vet for sub q fluids to increase hydration.
His skin did stand up the first day, but since I've been giving him small amounts of water throughout the day it doesn't anymore!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feed cream, but you could get some kitten formula to mix into the wet food. Baby food (meat only) would be good too.

I would get him to a vet for A/D high calorie food, maybe some fluids, and to advise on deworming.

Thank you for rescuing!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you going to keep the kitten?

Do you have a photo of the face? Only because I think I see a little pointed one in the picture you did post and I am a sucker for pointed cat.

Bluebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you going to keep the kitten?

Do you have a photo of the face? Only because I think I see a little pointed one in the picture you did post and I am a sucker for pointed cat.
This morning I tried to give him some water, but he threw it back up afterwards. I was thinking of keeping him if I don't find his previous owners (if there was an owner)

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pointed cat. If you look at my avatar my guy is pointed too, think decedent of Siamese. The coloration is very distinct. Blue eyes will stay but the darker face will eventually spread a little and the body will likely darken some with age. With how dark the face is I would guess closer to a malnourished 16 weeks instead of the 12 to 14 weeks.

Keep offering food and water. A vet visit could check for a microchip and offer some supportive care. Since you are thinking about keeping him and would need a vet visit at some point for vaccines and such it doesn't hurt to just take him now. I am not seeing a third eyelid so that is a good sign. That is the same look my girl gave me for the first week or two though when she was still getting her strength back. He could have worms which would make him feel bad, or just be tired and has been hungry for a while.

Bluebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When he's been sleeping his third eyelid will come out, but once he wakes up it goes back in. And since he threw up his last water, should I try and give him a bit more in a while to see if he can keep it down?

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's normal for the third eye to be visible just when they wake up. My girl who was feral will sometimes fall asleep with her eyes open. You can usually tell she has fallen asleep when the third eye starts to show and her eyes will finally close a few minutes later. If the third eyelid is not showing when fully awake then it is fine.

I would wait an hour before trying for more water. Maybe offer some watered down food or baby food in the mean time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to get Gerber turkey baby food. Kittens usually love it. It's easy to lap and digest.

Can you get the kitten to a vet soon for a checkup?

Thanks for rescuing this beautiful baby!

Bluebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try to get Gerber turkey baby food. Kittens usually love it. It's easy to lap and digest.

Can you get the kitten to a vet soon for a checkup?

Thanks for rescuing this beautiful baby!
We went to the vet because even though we were able to et water and food in him, he was still going down hill fast, they thought it was best to put him to sleep, and I didn't want to see him suffer anymore.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the TCS Team, we are very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are closed after a loss as a sign of respect. Please consider starting a thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum as a tribute to your little angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.