kitten hit by car

Status
Not open for further replies.

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. 

Two days ago around 9:30 p.m. my boyfriend and I found an injured kitten in a parking lot. It was dragging its back legs so we figured it had been hit by a car. We took her to an emergency vet where it was determined she should have surgery to fix the fractures in her pelvis. The surgery was done and she seemed to be doing better; they say she is eating and drinking. However her kidneys are not functioning properly. This is most likely from her accident. The dr said she was pretty bruised and that it's possible for the kidneys to improve, but as it is she has an electrolyte imbalance and the kidneys are not working as they should. At this point it's just a waiting game, but I was wondering if anyone had been a similar situation? I would hate to lose her after all this and be left with an outrageous vet bill with nothing to show for it. 

She is probably about 8-12 weeks old and too small for dialysis if she really starts to decline. Please send good vibes my way!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about this! Thank you so much for helping this little one.

Unfortunately, I have no real advice other than to listen to your vet.  I am sending major vibes your way. 

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes your way and your kitty's.  What a good soul you are to help this poor wee one.  I hope her kidney function improves.  Such a worry. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you–it's much appreciated!

kagami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really sorry to hear about this. Hang in there, things will definitely improve - she's still very young!

And you did a beautiful thing helping her <3

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for trying to help, there are angels on earth after all! I will definitely send all my vibes your way and will keep that sweet baby in my thoughts and prayers. All the luck!

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless you for having the decency to pick up the injured cat, and take her under your wing!

I hope that everything ends up ok in the end, sending prayers and positive vibes your way.

Stay Strong kitty! <3

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Sparta05  I'm too much of a bleeding heart to leave an animal like that, especially after I saw she couldn't use her back legs. I already have 4 cats (all rescued from the street), and another kitten that my boyfriend literally found playing in traffic. I've definitely got my hands full!

@Di and Bob  @kagami  Thank you! I try to help when I can. 

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just wanted to give an update on Karma (as I've named her). Her renal values have stabilized and she is doing a lot better. It seems as if she has a good chance of making it. Yesterday her red blood cells were still pretty low so we decided to give her a blood transfusion and that perked her right up. The next step is to start weaning her off of fluids and hopefully she will be able to remain stable. She is still very, very swollen in her belly from the trauma, and the vet said there is a possibility that there could be some kind of skin damage from blood loss on the area of impact (I think; I wasn't too clear on that one). But hopefully things will clear up. I want to take her home already! It's been a very stressful (and crazy expensive) ride, but all will be worth it once she's better.

kagami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, she's precious :) Thanks for the update, I'm so glad to hear she's getting better.

More vibes for her swift recovery!!

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is so precious!  I just want to reach out and give her a hug and kiss.  

I will pray that she has a full and speedy recovery.  It's amazing that you chose to rescue her.  I'm sure she's extremely grateful to you.  

Sending lots of love and good vibes!  

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are a wonderful person for saving her!  Thanks for the picture and I am so glad to hear she is doing better.  Will she be able to walk? 

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

*sigh* So it looks we are not out of the woods yet. Karma was doing really well after her blood transfusion, was walking around and acting like a normal kitten. She was supposed to be released today...until she came down with a fever. Over the past few days she had developed edema on her belly near the inside of her back leg. It basically looks like a big water bubble under her skin. The vet said that this wound will start sloughing, and depending on how bad it is she may need surgery to remove some of the dead skin. According to the vet, an open wound on a kitten this size could be "catastrophic." Either the wound or the catheter (the vet said the area it was entering her in didn't look good)  is likely what is causing the fever. At this point it's just a waiting game to see if she can overcome the fever and to see how bad the wound is. I'm really worried now. We were so close to getting her home. 

@Reba  If she recovers from her recent complications she should be able to walk without a limp. The damage to her hips wasn't that bad compared to the trauma her skin and organs have gone through. 

kagami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Sorry to hear this, allieq. Hang in there! It's just another bump in the road which you will both overcome. In any case, I'm sending more vibes to you for her swift recovery.

(.....and that picture... awww, just want to kiss that little head!)

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I feel for you and Karma.  She looks like a fighter and she made it thru so many traumas already for such a baby.  Good vibes going your way.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's so precious!  I'm praying that Karma pulls through this.

Has the vet said whether she has an infection?  When my girl had emergency surgery to remove a furball, her incision became infected with strep and she had to have a second emergency surgery to remove the dead tissue.  In her case, I could tell she had an infection because fluid seeped from her incision.  I'm not saying that Karma has an infection, but an infection could cause a fever.  I would ask your vet if she could have an infection and, if so, what you can do, such as antibiotics.

Once she's home, watch her skin to make sure it's not infected.  

Lots and lots of hugs!!! Hang in there. 

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She's so precious!  I'm praying that Karma pulls through this.

Has the vet said whether she has an infection?  When my girl had emergency surgery to remove a furball, her incision became infected with strep and she had to have a second emergency surgery to remove the dead tissue.  In her case, I could tell she had an infection because fluid seeped from her incision.  I'm not saying that Karma has an infection, but an infection could cause a fever.  I would ask your vet if she could have an infection and, if so, what you can do, such as antibiotics.

Once she's home, watch her skin to make sure it's not infected.  

Lots and lots of hugs!!! Hang in there. 

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@kagami  @keyes

Thank you both! I really hope she makes it through. 

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, she's so adorable I can't stand it.   Look at her look at you!  You can see in her eyes that she knows she's safe and cared for.  Sending thoughts and prayers your way.  Take care and please keep us posted. 

Status
Not open for further replies.