Kitten Help

Juno93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a mom cat and her babies, she was brought to me by a neighbor while she was still pregnant her babies were fine a little small anyways 3 of the 5 have died within a week and I'm trying to save the last 2. Just yesterday they had gone to the vet and got an ok and after dealing with an URI but last night one of them started to have breathing problems like they can't get enough air and the last 3 all were dealing with something like that and the vet said they were dealing with an URI and got meds for them but its not working and I don't want them to suffer but I don't want to put them down either.

I"ve looked online of other possible problems and I know thats not the best and I think it's anemia she has alot of the signs I've given her sugar water keeping her hydrated. Does anyone know what this might be or have dealt with something like.

I don't drive and my mom has the car she wants to be hopeful that its not anything serious but I disagree.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a humidifier?

Are you able to keep them warm? If you don't have a heating pad with a couple of towels over it for them, you could take a pair of socks, partly fill them with dry rice or beans, heat them (test against your own skin) and let the kittens snuggle with those.

The socks' heat will have to be maintained, but they'll help.

Are they able to eat? Are you hand feeding them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juno93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a humidifier?

Are you able to keep them warm? If you don't have a heating pad with a couple of towels over it for them, you could take a pair of socks, partly fill them with dry rice or beans, heat them (test against your own skin) and let the kittens snuggle with those.

The socks' heat will have to be maintained, but they'll help.

Are they able to eat? Are you hand feeding them?
Yeah I have a humidifier I've kept it on 24h a day and I've even done steam treatments to help with possible congestion have a heating pad and socks with the rice and she still tries to nurse off of her mom but I also give her KMR milk.

They are about 3 weeks old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she has anemia - fleas? - so probably they too were fleas infested. And have anemia and prob worms too.

Are there any traces she was heavily neglected before she come to you?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they have difficult to breathe they may have difficult to suckle.
I think handfeeding may be easier for them. With a needleless syringe or a dropper.

This kmr or if you have access to fresh goats milk may be even better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is VERY common for young kittens to develop URIs. The only thing you can do is to keep tghem fed and warm. Weigh daily. do you have a small kitchen scale to weigh them on. That is about the only way to tell if they are getting enough to eat. They may have a lot of trouble nursing, it is hard when you can't breathe. You amy haev to keep supplementing every few hours. You must give them kitten KMR found in most pet depts. Kittens should gain 1/2 ounce (14 grams) a day or 3-4 ounces a week. Please try to make sure they are nursing enough. You are doing well, please keep cposting and we will do what we can. I'm so sorry for the loss of the little ones, it hurts......

Juno93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so they seem to be getting better or at least stable right now and they are on their 4th week. Still dealing with the diarrhea but figure that from the meds and they are still nursing off of mom and heavy congestion. I've been giving them Pedialyte along with the kmr and that seems to help, I've also been having to tip the girl down in the air not too far up with her head facing the ground and her legs in the air while patting and rubbing her back to help get it out.
So far they seem to be better lasted longer than the others, I am making sure to check their gums and hydration but I know that its up to them now.

Juno93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over the weekend one of the kittens the last boy had to be taken to the vet to be put down he was having a really hard time and he was not going to make it I just didn't want to see him suffer anymore and it was a really hard thing to do but I know that it was for the best. His sister the last one is still going strong she seems to be over the cold no coughing, sneezing or trouble breathing which I'm happy about.
Thank you everyone for your ideas and help I know that sometimes there is nothing that can be done and they die without a reason but this has been the most stressful and emotional draining set of kittens I have fostered.
I'm hoping that Rhea survives all of this but I'll try not to get my hopes up
Her mother came to us looking pretty good no real signs of neglect mostly just dirty and the vet said that she had no worms, FIV or anything like that so she is healthy. I think her babies were born premature and thats why they had/have all these problems and they are so small for 4 weeks old I mean that Rhea can still fit into one hand easy she's like the size of a 2 week old kitten.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am sorry to hear that you lost another kitten. You showed great love and strength in letting the little one have a quick passing the other day. An easy death is the best gift in life although it is very hard to do.
I recently had my blind, CH kitty, Troy, put down. He was the only survivor of a litter of 5 kittens - even his mother died. The vet thought it was the dreaded calicivirus morphed into FIP. Since your mama cat is healthy, it does sound like maybe their lungs were underdeveloped and as they approached the 3 week mark and the immunities from their mom were dropping, their little bodies contracted common viruses that overwhelmed them. You definitely gave them a fighting chance.
Little Rhea is sure showing a strong will to live! Now, all of her mother's good milk and your excellent nursing will go only to her and that will be a great help.
Sending Rhea prayers and vibes for healing :vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape::cheerleader:

Juno93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it's been a while but I'm happy to say that Rhea is doing just fine she's playing and fighting everything just trying to wean her but she's being an pain about it and her mom is doing good to she just got spayed a couple of days ago.

I just want to say thank you everyone for trying to help and your advice but sometimes they just die and it's hard to deal with sometime I want to cry and blame myself for not trying harder but I can't because Rhea needs me and I need her the most right now.
I don't think she'll be leaving or her mom because the people who found her want her to be an outside cat and I don't agree with that at all.
So thanks for some help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: So happy to know that little Rhea made it!!! Yes, the singletons can be real spitfires - all sass with no siblings to take them down a notch or two. I would let Mama Cat be in charge of weaning - kittens who are weaned earlier than when they are emotionally ready often become cats who suckle on fluffy blankets, etc., when grown.
And I am beyond thrilled that you are keeping them both AND that Mama Cat is spayed. :clap: The odds against them both were great so your successes are all the more Brilliant as a testimony to your excellent care! please keep the updates coming! :heartshape::banana1::vibes::clapcat: