Kitten Help!

Sross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat had her babies late last night about 18 he’s ago. She had two the first one it’s leg is completely mangled and barely still attached but still moving around and stuff. The second one seems fine but I haven’t seen either eat. I did all the stuff they say to try to get it to latch on and it finally did but it gave up right after it started. I tried to give it alittle milk replacer but it won’t even try to drink that. It is smaller than the first one but both are very small and weak. Mom cat tries to b available and on her side they just have no interest in eating. I dnt know what to do and the first one I dnt know what to do to keep it from suffering bc it’s leg is terrible I cat go to the vet right now. any suggestions or help would b great.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine the mama caught his leg trying to bite through the umbilical cord. please rub their gums with sugar water to stimulate them some, use a dropper out of a bottle, clean it and set them tummy down and try to get a little formula in them in the side of their mouth, a drop at a time. They MUST eat ASAP. they may be premature so their chances are not good, but you never know. They must be fed for a while every hour, and then every two hours. After tehy get some food in tehm to get them stronger, they should be able to latch on mama. Make sure they are with her, she would need to keep them warm and stimulate them to go to the bathroom. I'll pray for them! PS please tell above where you are located, tehy can maybe line up help for you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If premature you must be sure they are warm enough. Ir-heating lamp is good.

They must eat. You can begin withvsugar water. Have white caro syrup or honey as sugar source.

Proceed with goats milk or kmr.

If they are weak sucklers it will be easierbwith a dropper or little needleless syringe.

The seared one needs medical attention. But kittens are often healing even serious wounds.
If he survives he will manage nicely on 3 legs.
If you need to wash off the wounds use saline water, ie water you boiled with some salt..., let it be body temp or slightly lower and pour on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the first kitten with the bad leg passed away but was right there with momma atleast. The second one I got to eat just alittle out of a little bottle with replacement milk then I put him back with mom and before I could try to stimulate his bottom mom did it. So she must know I’m trying to help. I put a heating pad on low under two layers of the blankets in there box so I’m hoping that will help with temp. Mom leaves him for maybe 5 or 10 minutes sometimes but always comes back is that ok. He’s just so little and feels cool to the touch.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you don't have a heating lamp, could you also take a sock, fill it partly with dry rice or beans, heat it in the microwave or oven, test it on your own skin and give him that to cuddle with. It will help to keep his body temperature a little more stable.

The sock will require a bit more maintenance but together with mama and the heating pad - which you set up just exactly right, hopefully it all keeps him warm :)

were you able to rub his gums with a little honey too?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Repeat this feeding often as he is weak and manages just a little each time. Down to 1 hour between. Totally he he shall have. At least 15-20 ml during the whole day. Depending on his actual weigh. Heavier kittens needs more.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you could find an IR-lamp, perhaps borrow from some neigbhour whom is rheumatic? Or have a leguan terrarium...
It would help much, not least, when you are handfeeding the kitten, it wont get cooled down, as the rays will keep him warm.

Otherwise, you can also try to have it a little warmer in the room as whole.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The heating pad has helped a lot I can actually feel him warm now. He is eating alittle from the bottle now and then mom helps clean him if not I use a moist cloth to stimulate going to bathroom. I’m really hoping he will still nurse at some point but I’m not sure if mom is producing milk bc nothing has come out when I squeeze her nipples.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be so he is too weak to nurse properly. You helping him makes it easier for him.
And if there is any milk, and if he is strong enough to nurse, he will always nurse, because momma is always best, not meaning to hurt gram´s feelings. :)

So continue to give him kmr or goats milk, till you are sure he adds minimum 6 gram every day, preferably 10+...
We will see with time about the rest.

So far we may be cautiously optimistic, as the saying goes.