Kitten help

mrgroon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I just need a little help/reassurance that this is normal behavior.  I have raised multiple dogs and am used to their reactions to a new home, but this is all new to me.  I recently adopted a 4 month old kitten.  We currently have him in isolation because my girlfriend as a 2 year old tortoise shell in the house.  We are trying to get him comfortable in his isolation area so we can start the introduction process.  The first few days and nights he took to the room like it was nothing.  However, I came home yesterday after his first day alone in the room and he is afraid of everything and jumping at the slightest noise.  The good news is that he isn't afraid of his path from the bed to the litter box and the litter box to the food.  Outside of that, he is terrified of even the carpet outside his normal path.  Items that he readily attacked the first few days terrify him to the point of trembling.  Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do to help him regain his comfort?

santan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe others can chime in here, but it doesn't sound normal to me if kitty was fine one day and jumping at shadows the next. Is there anything in the room that could have frightened him? Something falling or perhaps one of your other pets growling outside the door?

I would start here with much time spent. Lots of cuddles. Lots of play. I'm not a fan of leaving animals, especially young animals, alone in an isolation situation. Think of yourself in that situation, hearing things, smelling things on the other side of a closed door and not knowing what they were. It would be very frightening.

I would suggest accelerating the introduction plan you have in mind. I have never been a fan of keeping pets separated anyway. My approach has always been to introduce immediately, staying with them and constantly monitoring reactions and behavior. I would only keep kitty alone in a room when you are at work or at night when you are sleeping and can't play guardian and let them free to roam as early and often as possible. The faster they acclimate, the better off everyone will be. Animals have a way of sorting it all out for themselves.

Good luck!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to disagree with rushing the intro process.  You want the kitty to be settled in your home first and social with you before starting the introduction process.  The resident kitty is not going to be happy and this could create even more issues.  I would start by really cat proofing the room.  Be sure she can't get stuck in any small spaces or get under furniture.  Do you have a feliway diffuser to help her feel more calm?  While you are gone, play some quiet music for her.  When you are home, allow her some time out of the room, while the resident kitty is put away.  When you interact with her, sit on the floor at her level.  Try some toys or better yet, try some food.  Gerber Stage 2 baby food in chicken or turkey.  It's a small glass jar with a blue label.  The only ingredients are chicken/turkey and water.  No added sugars or spices.  Cats love it.  You can offer some on  a plate and progress to offering off a spoon and then off your fingers. 

Take the introductions slow.  I will post some artciles and a video on cat to cat intros.   Also be sure she has been to the vet for a clean bill of health before coming in contact with the resident kitty.  You do not want to get the resident kitty sick. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrgroon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the tips on the intro, we are introducing Tansey (resident cat) to Arnold's (kitten) scent when she allows us to.  She is in the "I hate you phase" and has been holed up under our couch since we brought the kitten home.  Hopefully we can get Arnold calm enough to start doing some of the intro on his end.

Today, we cleared a space on the floor, and blocked off the areas of the room he is most afraid of.  I put the bed comforter down there and the pillows to basically recreate the bed near his food and litter box.  He has his post, more toys than I had as a child, and multiple boxes with beds inside to hide in.  We left the TV on with Food Network since he seems to watch TV with us when it is on.  We chose food network because it is the least likely to have scary noises.  Will update on how he is when I get home from work today.