Kitten help needed post spay

1yss2332

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten (5 mo old, f) was spayed 4 days ago (last Wednesday) and has been acting normal up until yesterday evening. She threw up a foamy brownish liquid and does not seem to have much of an appetite. After also noticing a lump where her incision was, I decided to just bring her into the emergency vet this afternoon. The vet examined her and did an ultrasound. They couldn’t explain the vomiting, but figured she might be in pain causing the lack of appetite. The vet also said the lump should be fine and was just a reaction to the stitches. She prescribed onsior and told me to keep an eye on any GI issues.

Well, she just threw up a small amount of the same brownish liquid again tonight. I’m calling her regular vet first thing in the morning but am very anxious about this. Her appetite doesn’t seem to have returned other than a couple bites of dinner and a churu. Does anyone have any idea about why this is happening? I’m sitting here googling her symptoms obsessively and it’s 1am. I’m hoping someone has been through something similar and can give me any bit of insight on this. Thank you so much

- from a very worried kitten mom

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry your kitty is going through this. I wish I had answers for you. She’s probably okay, especially if you had her checked out at the ER and they didn’t find anything urgent. It’s a good idea to call her regular vet in the morning.
I have one kitty that will throw up for any number of reasons, stress being one of them. Maybe she’s just out of sorts because of all she’s been through the past few days.
Try to relax, kitties can pick up on our stress. It’s so hard when our furry friends aren’t feeling 100%. I think you should try to get some rest and call her vet in the morning just to be on the safe side. I hope she feels better soon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten (5 mo old, f) was spayed 4 days ago (last Wednesday) and has been acting normal up until yesterday evening. She threw up a foamy brownish liquid and does not seem to have much of an appetite. After also noticing a lump where her incision was, I decided to just bring her into the emergency vet this afternoon.
Could you post a picture of the incision? The more details we have, the easier it is to understand.
Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pain meds they gave her most likely have finally worn off, and she is also having a bit of a reaction to the anesthesia. Get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, it is a lickable treat I give all my cats when they are under the weather and refusing to eat. The lump is normal, there is swelling and stitches inside too. Since she was checked out at the ER, she doesn't have a fever indicating an infection. So just give her a few more days, she should be fine. Notify her regular vet, he should know, and make sure you tell them she was seen by the ER. More stress bringing her in should be avoided. Keep her warm, encourage food and water, and give her lots of love. i have had MANY cats refuse food for up to a week after a spay, and they came through fine. (they did take a few licks a few times a day of the treat)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might be wrong, but I see some pinkish coloration around the incision, near your fingers, and it also seems slightly swollen in the same area.
To be honest, I don't like it. You'd better ask your vet to have a look at it.
Do you feel it a little warmer than the rest?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is only 5 days old it looks really good. I have had quite a few cats with those lumps, that is swelling on the inside. There is no drainage, no big areas of redness looks good. You could show your vet that picture and maybe not have to take her in. it should put your mind at ease too, that the ER vet looked at her. Now, if she starts hiding and refuses to eat at all, then she needs to be seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1yss2332

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might be wrong, but I see some pinkish coloration around the incision, near your fingers, and it also seems slightly swollen in the same area.
To be honest, I don't like it. You'd better ask your vet to have a look at it.
Do you feel it a little warmer than the rest?
The emergency vet already looked at it yesterday, did an ultrasound, took her temp, and ruled out infection. She said it’s most likely a reaction to the sutures. I still can’t help but worry though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, you do! I've had cats dehiscence, pull the incision apart a little too, and it took a little longer but healed. her incision looks very good......

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she was ok and is now not, then this most likely isn’t due to the anesthesia. The lump can be a hernia. Please be careful giving any cat that isn’t eating Onsior, which is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication.

ER vets are great at saving lives in emergencies, but routine things, sometimes not so great.

I am not a vet, but if she was my cat, I would stop giving the medication and see the regular vet ASAP.

I am sure if it was a hernia they would have seen it on ultrasound.

This may be completely unrelated to the surgery, but these symptoms warrant another vet exam.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning, how’s your kitty? What did her regular vet say?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1yss2332

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning, how’s your kitty? What did her regular vet say?
Good morning!
The vet gave her an appetite stimulant, mirataz and told me to give her the last onsior pill. She seems like she’s back to her old sweet self again. She also ate half a can of food last night (big improvement)! I have a call with the vet for updates later this afternoon, but I really hope this improvement lasts. I love seeing her happy and playful.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Around the 7 day mark my girl had a similar lump. It resolved on its own after a couple days. Looks fairly good for five days.