Kitten Help/ Advice Needed!!

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My name is Chelsea. I have a young cat named Ivy. She turns 5yrs old on July 29th 2017. As I was paying her vet bill this lady walks in with a big crate housing a teeny baby kitty.

The kitty was crying her head off and my heart broke! The vet only had her an hour, maybe less, before I was signing adoption papers for her.

Ivy dislikes other cats, as most cats do at first when introduced to a foreign cat. The vet determined that she was 4weeks and 2 days old.
That was July 5th. It's now July 9th/10th and I'm scared.

I've been feeding her kitten replacement milk mixed with fancy feast kitten food. I was feeding her between 4-6 times a day. But yesterday she pooped diarrhea. Which I've read can be fatal.

Since then we have added water/ Pedialyte to her wet food along with the kmr. She had a tiny soft stool with a little liquid at the end. Her poo has only been a pale brown/ yellow color since we've got her.

She's active and gets a lot of sleep. We've slowed her feedings down to 3-4.

Another worry of mine is that she sleeps in her cat taxi with a heating pad under a towel. It's small so she can get off it but it only has an on/off switch which worries me.

Is it safe to leave the heating pad on over night? Am I doing the right thing to help her get over her diarrhea?

Please help me! I love this precious baby. Her name is Nami.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant 9th not 8th!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea is most likely a change in food, but watch her to see if it clears or not. If not, she may need some worm medication.
At 4 weeks, you really no longer need a heating pad, but make sure she has a blanket in there to snuggle with. A big stuffed animal would be good also. Just make sure it doesn't have eyes/nose that can be bitten off.
I'm so glad you got Nami. The alternative could have been bad.

And we need pictures!!

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You! And I will most definetly watch her poo. She's my baby! We're still showing love towards ivy. We wouldn't leave her out anyways haha! And yes! I Will upload pictures!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW, unless she is eating wet food very good you will still need to give the KMR about every 4 hours.
If she's going to town on the wet, then about 3-4 cans a day.

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh Wow! Thank You! My boyfriend says he was giving her kmr between wet food feedings. She doesn't seem to know how to eat wet food. She sucks on it.

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the heating pad, we only want her to have it because he likes to have the temp of the house at 70 at night.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you weigh her using km's? Sarthur2 Sarthur2 is the person to let you know how many ml's per kg's on the feeding. She's a wealth of knowledge....use her.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the heating pad, we only want her to have it because he likes to have the temp of the house at 70 at night.
Wow, that hot. Sorry, I don't deal with heat very well.
The problem is, at 4 weeks they are teething. A cord is a very tempting teething ring.

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was planning on buying a scale to weigh her tomorrow. She seems to like the heating pad. And I will ask sarthur2 questions as well. Thank you so much for helping me. I thought she was going to die because the poo

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is very true! I have the cord covered up. But tonight is the first night with the pad. And personally, I like it at 67-68

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fed her KMR last night and again when she woke up at 5am. She had diarrhea. I think the kmr is giving her the diarrhea. Now I'm worried again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which brand KMR are you using, and is it powdered or pre-mixed formula?

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's called: Milk Replacer Plus brand is PetAg. It's the powdered form.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That does not usually cause diarrhea. Are you mixing it one part formula and two parts water?

You may want to try full fat goat's milk instead.

It does sound like it's the KMR.

You may also want to try feeding Gerber turkey meat baby food. Kittens usually love it.

TypicalKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm mixing it right. I will try it! I'm taking her to the vet soon