Kitten has roundworms, advice needed

divinefemale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I’m new here and had a few questions:

1. My ten week old kitten Toulouse was diagnosed with a case of roundworms yesterday, they gave him a dose of Drontal which he took at 9am yesterday and they said his second dose will be in 2 weeks. I read online that for tapeworm it should be two weeks but for roundworm the second dose should be given after ONE week. Is this right? Do u think my vet meant one week but had a mix up and said two weeks? He does NOT have tapeworm, only roundworm.

2. I deep cleaned everything yesterday to prevent contamination when we got home right after giving him the first dose. How soon after the second dose should I deep clean again? I want to do it again at the most beneficial timing because it’s a taxing process and I don’t want to do it just to have to turn around and do it again super shortly after. Should I do it a day or two after second dose? A week after? I want to make sure all traces of the worms are gone so when would be the best time to do the second deep clean after he finishes the meds?

thanks in advance for ur help, I’m autistic and OCD and this has been a nightmare for my brain. I am so terrified of and repulsed by parasitic worms, it’s almost a phobia lol

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just follow your Veterinarian’s recommendation. One dose usually gets rid of the parasotes. The second dose is just to be sure. You can also do another fecal stool test a week after the second dose,.
wash bedding. Be sure to clean litter pan daily at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

divinefemale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u, is it normal that he’s only pooped once today and once yesterday? Yesterday is when he got the deworming pill

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he eating well? What are you feeding him? How is his energy level? How much was he pooping before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

divinefemale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he’s eating pretty well, dry kitten food and wet food twice a day. His energy levels are totally good he’s just running around playing all the time, he acts like nothing is wrong at all. He wasn’t pooping very frequently before either, I’ve had him for a month exactly and he doesn’t seem to poop terribly often. Once a day or so :/ not sure if that’s abnormal or not

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Each cat is individual.
I would stop the dry food and only feed the canned. It is much healthier for them to only have wet food.
Dry food is loaded with carbohydrates and cats cannot process carbs. Even the grain free is full of carbohydrates. They just replace the grains with carbohydrate rich foods like potatoes and peas.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO it's fine for kittens to have some dry food in their diet. Many people set out a bowl of dry food and provide a few canned food meals daily. When the kitten reaches a year old or so, you can eliminate the dry and feed only canned food. There are people who do feed some dry food daily or only dry food daily to their adult cats for whatever reason. If you can, only canned food is best for cats but don't feel bad if you have to include a small amount of dry food in the diet.