Kitten has grey poop / eye issues

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My uncle found an abandoned kitten outside their house. It was less than a week old. I took him in and since Kitten Milk Replacement Formula is not available in my area, I started giving him goat milk instead. About 5 days into feeding him goat milk he started to get diarrhea. I ordered Royal Canine Kitten Milk online and started feeding that instead. Now, his diarrhea has stopped but this morning he had really grey-ish clay like poop. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much does the kitten weigh? How much and how often are you feeding?

Is he about 2 weeks old now? How long has he been on the Royal Canin formula?

I need to know if he’s getting enough formula for his age and size. He may be a bit dehydrated. Is he peeing much? Is it yellow or clear?

@catto_xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure how much he weighs exactly. Not sure exactly how old he either but I’m assuming that he is about 12 days old now (He didnt have his umbilical cord when they found him so he was well past three days at that point). He still hasn’t opened his eyes but he has a lot of energy and is very feisty.
I have been feeding him 5ml of Royal Canine Kitten Milk Replacer every 3 hours for the past two days. Since its powder I mix about 3/10 of the measuring spoon as it says in the instructions.
He pees after every meal and its clear (may have a slight yellow tint to it).
This is what his poop looked like this morning.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ll hazard a guess that he needs more formula. He should weigh close to 8 ounces (226 grams) at 14 days, and should be close to that soon.

If so, you’re giving him about 40mLs of formula over each 24-hour period when he needs closer to 64mLs of formula (8mLs every 3 hours = 8 feedings over 24 hours = 64mLs). You are feeding around the clock, I hope? Tiny kittens need feeding through the night.

You can also buy a bottle of clear, unflavored Pedialyte to mix with the formula instead of water. This will give the kitten the electrolytes that he needs. Also, mix the powder and water ratio exactly as the directions on the can state. The ratio is usually one part powder to 2 parts water. You can mix more formula than you need, cover it and refrigerate, then heat before using again. Always test the temperature before feeding.

I think you should see improvement soon if you feed more. Never force feed if he doesn’t want it though. Kittens will sometimes eat more at some feedings and sometimes less, but overall should consume the amount they need each 24 hours.

Here is a helpful syringe feeding video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Also, if you could buy or borrow a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams it would be super helpful to know what he weighs and how much he’s gaining daily.

Do keep us posted and thanks for caring for this kitten! @catto_xx

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would it really be okay to mix 20ml of water with 10ml of powder and keep it in the fridge? I have been mixing separately for each feeding. I hope its not going to be an issue. Also, if it needs reheating for every feeding is it okay to put it in a hot water bath?

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you able to have a fecal test done at the vet? The last two kittens I brought inside were infected with giardia and had a grey/green tint to their poop. They did 3 rounds of meds and I’m still not 100% sure it’s clear. It’s hard to get rid of

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I increased the amount of formula yesterday and his poop was back to normal. I’m assuming that it happened because I switched from goat milk to the formula. He has also been gaining weight rapidly ever since then. And his eyes are starting to open now. I’m super relieved. He is doing really well! Thanks for your help!

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is just started to open his day before yesterday. He opened his right eye first it was like that for the whole day until I noticed that his left eye was starting to open when I was feeding him three hours back. When I took him out for his next feeding just now I saw that he is having an issue with his right eye (the first eye that opened). I think he may have accidentally scratched it. Is his eye going to be okay? What can I use ? Also please note that I dont have access to veterinary care.
I have attached two pictures here. One is from yesterday when his right eye was open and then again from this morning.
Please help asap!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll want to apply a warm, damp cloth to the eye to soothe and draw out infection, and to soften any pus underneath the lid that may be drying and causing the eye not to open. You can apply this several times a day.

Also, brew plain black tea and let it cool to lukewarm. Dip the cloth in it and apply to the eye. The tea often helps an eye infection to clear.

Please let us know how this goes.

Also, where are you located?

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am located in the Maldives. We have veterinary services only in the main city and I need to travel by plane to get there.
Please let me know if this can be fixed. He is not going to go blind completely right? He just opened his eyes yesterday and it was fine.
All the happiness and relief that I had finally gotten after he opened his eyes is gone again and I’m not sure if he’ll be okay again.
Also, are there any eyedrops that I can use?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you see what I suggested that you do to soothe the eye?

Even if it is scratched it should heal. The warm tea compresses will help.

You should trim the very tips of his claws to prevent further mishaps.

I do not know of any eye medicine that you can use except those prescribed by a vet that are just for cats, such as Terramycin ophthalmic antibiotic ointment. Just bathe the eye as I have suggested and see if there is improvement. I think you will see improvement, but you cannot use eye drops for humans for this kitten.

@catto_xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear! Has the eye opened back up and healing?

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, his eyes have completely healed now. He is going to be three weeks old tomorrow and for the past two days he has been very active and playful. I feel like it is about time introduce him to a litterbox but I have read that clumping litter is not the best for kittens who are being litterbox trained as they tend to eat everything. I tried to find non-clumping litter but everyone is selling cluming/scented litter only. Does anyone have a good alternative for this? Perhaps sand might work?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, sand will work, but 3 weeks is too young to litter train. Kittens are litter trained when they begin to eat soft foods around 5-7 weeks old. They must cut their baby teeth first, which is around 4 weeks. I would wait on the litter training for about 3 more weeks.

Excellent news that his eyes are healed now!