Kitten Has Diarrhea

missohno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten, who I adopted a week ago, has had diarrhea for the past day or so. He's absolutely normal otherwise: tons of energy, normal appetite, no blood or worms in the stool, not dehydrated (based on a pinch test at the back of the neck and a check of his gums). I'm 99% sure it's just him adjusting to his new diet; the shelter didn't tell me what they were feeding him before but it was a dry food, and I've got him on mostly wet food. I know I should have transitioned him more gradually but frankly I've just never had this issue with a kitten before, and I have to be careful about dry food being available to one of my grown boys, so I rushed it. Whoops.

Anyway, I'm basically just looking for a) reassurance that diet changes can cause diarrhea and without other symptoms I don't need to be too freaked out and b) anything else I should be on the lookout for that could indicate it's a more serious problem that requires a vet trip. Thanks in advance! :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would also recommend talking to your vet about a worming dosage for him. Just because he doesn't have worms in his stool doesn't mean he is worm free, so it may be a good idea to worm him if you haven't already. Some boiled chicken may also help settle his little tummy. Best of luck!