Kitten Has Diarrhea

shogunvicious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a Kitten about 25 days old. I am finding a hard time in knowing what I should do. Other that not cleaning after it poops, my kitten is sometimes acting afraid of me and my wife, even after he spends sometime playing with us. He just suddenly raises his body and starts cornering himself trying to hide. Is this normal behavior, or should I raise the flag. I already took him to the vet twice, and he said nothing is wrong with him.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, shogunvicious!
Surely am expert will soon answer your questions
By the way, for how long have you had this 25 days old cat? It can take a while for kittens to get used to humans, especially if their parents are feral cats. We are immense compared to them, so it just makes sense that they are kinda afraid for a couple of weeks, even if they show us affection sometimes.
The no covering poo issue is something I would not worry about, your kitten will finally do it sooner or later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shogunvicious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Alejandra thanks for your reply. I have had this kitten for 3 days, its gotten used to me, but the sudden change in behavior is what I am afraid of, as I read somewhere it may be linked to problems with the cats health. As for the poop issue, I am worried it will get poop everywhere, I bought some special kitten wipes so I can wipe its bum, however is there any way I can teach him to clean himself.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, as I said, I am no expert, but my family and I hand raised six siamese X kitten from two feral cats who where too skinny to take care of them. I think they were about three weeks old and most of them would threaten us now and then for the first two weeks or so. I can say that all of them are lap cats now and their families are happy with them. We kept one of them and he can be too affectionate sometimes.
So, I would give your little ball of fur some time before worrying about any mental issues yet.
The poop issue is indeed frustrating. At this momment, I would say that your kitty just needs a mommy to clean him and hide his poo. As there is no mommy but you, it will take some weeks until he is mature enough to do it on his own (it seems easy, but hiding poo is more difficult than we usually think, as there is fine motricity involved). My 14 weeks old cat is still working on how to do it without getting one of her feet dirty. I am afraid you will have to clean your baby each time he poos until he is a bit older and can move his own body with more control.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 12 week old kitten is just figuring out how to clean himself properly. At 4 weeks old he had no clue. At 4 weeks he wasn't even pooing without stimulation let alone using the litter. Your kitten is too young to be away from his mother and siblings, so you'll have to take their place. Cleaning him yourself is the right thing to do, it's teaching him that that's what he should do. He'll figure it out eventually, be patient.

Is he acting afraid or is he really afraid? He's learning himself and his body at this age. It's very likely that he's just playing. I've never seen a kitten do the halloween cat posture more than my Oscar. He does it many times a day.

The vet says he's healthy, and he's active and eating I think he's fine. Remember he's just a baby it'll take time for everything to happen.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Three days is such a small time. Bruce is with us for more than 6 months, and he's 1yo and still gets spooked sometimes and retreats to his safe places.

You have such a small baby still. You need to be gentle and give him time to adjust to every and all situations. And please be aware that you are a giant compared to him, it's normal to be afraid of giants, even if they're gentle. ;)

shogunvicious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three days is such a small time. Bruce is with us for more than 6 months, and he's 1yo and still gets spooked sometimes and retreats to his safe places.

You have such a small baby still. You need to be gentle and give him time to adjust to every and all situations. And please be aware that you are a giant compared to him, it's normal to be afraid of giants, even if they're gentle. ;)
Hodor.. :D

I noticed he becomes like this every time I wipe his bum, or after he feeds & eats, suddenly I become a stranger in his eyes, he just runs and hides away right after.

shogunvicious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 week old kitten is just figuring out how to clean himself properly. At 4 weeks old he had no clue. At 4 weeks he wasn't even pooing without stimulation let alone using the litter. Your kitten is too young to be away from his mother and siblings, so you'll have to take their place. Cleaning him yourself is the right thing to do, it's teaching him that that's what he should do. He'll figure it out eventually, be patient.

Is he acting afraid or is he really afraid? He's learning himself and his body at this age. It's very likely that he's just playing. I've never seen a kitten do the halloween cat posture more than my Oscar. He does it many times a day.

The vet says he's healthy, and he's active and eating I think he's fine. Remember he's just a baby it'll take time for everything to happen.
Thanks for the reply, I hope things turn out for the better. I am just afraid that I am doing something wrong.

shogunvicious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, as I said, I am no expert, but my family and I hand raised six siamese X kitten from two feral cats who where too skinny to take care of them. I think they were about three weeks old and most of them would threaten us now and then for the first two weeks or so. I can say that all of them are lap cats now and their families are happy with them. We kept one of them and he can be too affectionate sometimes.
So, I would give your little ball of fur some time before worrying about any mental issues yet.
The poop issue is indeed frustrating. At this momment, I would say that your kitty just needs a mommy to clean him and hide his poo. As there is no mommy but you, it will take some weeks until he is mature enough to do it on his own (it seems easy, but hiding poo is more difficult than we usually think, as there is fine motricity involved). My 14 weeks old cat is still working on how to do it without getting one of her feet dirty. I am afraid you will have to clean your baby each time he poos until he is a bit older and can move his own body with more control.
Thanks for your reply, I hope he turns out to be affectionate and not aggressive.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hodor.. :D

I noticed he becomes like this every time I wipe his bum, or after he feeds & eats, suddenly I become a stranger in his eyes, he just runs and hides away right after.
Feeding time is a very vulnerable time in the wild and instinctivly cats will be a little spooked when eating in places that they are not still very confortable with. Is he eating on his own? Then give him some space while he eats. Let him come to you after and not the other way around.

The wiping is bum thing might just be than he doesn't consider you "Mom" just yet and is still unconfortable with the process. He will get used to it eventually and in no time he will be doing it himself.

Enjoy you kitten and send us pictures! ;)

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I think you are doing everything right, so do not worry. None of my cats like being cleaned back there, which is something they need when they have diarrea, so It is nothing personal, in my opinion.
I am sure your baby will be very sweet, he just needs time to realize that you are his family now.
Pictures, please!

shogunvicious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had a 30 days old kitten for about 5 days now. Other than his weird behavior and getting himself covered in poop he was doing fine. Until yesterday he started having diarrhea, he let himself go in our living room, he stopped eating any food after that or even drink any water. I cleaned him and watched him through the night yesterday, I kept him warm him while he sleeps, he slept for about 10 hours, waking occasionally then going back to sleep right after. He woke up about 4 am and he started playing, I was happy to see him regain his energy, he also drank some water and ate a bit, and then went back to sleep. I checked his poop and i noticed it a bit more solid and not as liquid as before. I thought all is good, until a few hours ago he again pooped in our living room and had diarrhea again (very liquid and and bit yellow), he even urinated on the floor.

I read many articles, contacted many friends who have cats as well, I even called the vet twice.

Articles say he might be sick and I should take him to the vet, and that he might be dehydrated. However its all talk about be the kitten being lethargic and the color of his poop, his behavior, and I don't know about all that. How much time will a kitten sleep ? To what color of poop should I raise the alarm ? How can I know if he is feeling discomfort ?

Friends say he is sick, and that may die :( if I don't act soon.

Vet says it is okay, since I changed his food brand from equilibrium to Royal Kanin, and that it is okay he sleeps a lot. However I should buy an enzyme cleaner to clean the mess so, he does not urinated in my living room again (how come he urinated in the living room anyway). The vet says it is fine and I should not be worried, but I am. I feel that there is something wrong with him, and I am worried I might lose him soon !! :(

Help my out please ! What shall I do ?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If the vet said he's okay, he probably is. They're right, that cats digestive system just needs some time to adjust to new food. But, you can always take him to another vet to get a second opinion, just to be sure.