Kitten growling and hissing...

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I bought some new toys for my kitten, among them three small fluffy balls. We gave him one of them and he liked it very much, I think he played all night long with it. Today, he was playing with it and my husband threw another one to him. And then he changed completely, he went from a playful kitten to a vicious predator in just one second: He took the old ball in his mouth and the new one between his paws, and started growling and hissing...just for the sake of it. I don't know if it was part of his play, or what, but my husband was scared of this reaction, he thought that maybe he was choking or was allergic or something. I was able to take the old ball from his mouth, he didn't growl or hiss at me or at my husband. But a minute afterwards he had the ball in his mouth and started growling and hissing again. Then he seemed to forget about the ball, and started playing with other balls, but from time to time he still takes the fluffy one and growls and hisses.

Why this sudden reaction? Is this normal in cats, or maybe it is because he never played with other cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!!! It's a relief, we had never seen our kitten growling. I only had heard him hissing once, he was in the windowsill (behing the net) and this woman with a very loud voice started saying things to him. I guess he didn't like her voice. But I didn't know they could do it when playing.

Thanks again!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't forget...ALL play in cats, every single bit of it, is practice for the hunt! Sometimes you need to be a silent hunter, and sometimes you need to be, to quote A ArtNJ , "smol but fierce!" I'd love to be able to peek inside your kitten's mind, and find out what "dangerous prey" that particular ball represents to him!