Kitten Goes but Doesn't Clean Up After Himself

catladycooper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 week old kitten that I found at work a week ago.  He was with his mother, but I weaned him and brought him home.  He's only been here for a few days but seems to be adjusting well.  I have water down in a plate, dry kitten food down in a plate, and I have been putting wet kitten food down as well.  He didn't start pooping until after his vet visit (vet gave him de-wormer there along with kitten shots) and now he goes and it seems as if a portion stays on his rear end.  I haven't seen him scoot or try and clean himself.  I don't think he has diarrhea because his poop looked like a chocolate swirl (the last that I saw). 

Should I quit rinsing him off every time I see poop on his butt or smell it?  I've been keeping wet food down for him to munch on through out the day because he seemed like he liked to graze.  Should I stick to only putting it down in the morning?  Should I change it?  It is Whiskas in the pouches.

Thanks from a first time kitten mom!!! :-) 

Btw- He is staying in our dining room/ kitchen and we have no carpets in there.  Perhaps that is why I don't see any scooting?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At seven weeks old, his mother would still be cleaning him up. That is why a lot of people say keep the kitten with the mother until 12 weeks. Keep cleaning him up, using a soft cloth or soft toilet paper. His instincts to keep himself clean will probably kick in fairly soon.

Wet food should not be left out all day. The chance of bacteria growing on it is greater the longer it is out. If you can, give it to him every 4-5 hours. If you can't, give him some before you leave in the morning and some as soon as you get home in the evening.

If he was scooting in the dining room/kitchen, you would see streaks on the floor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladycooper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response.  He actually seemed cleaner today and peed as soon as I put him in the litterbox this morning.  I would've left him with mom but they kept moving around and I was worried he would get run over in the spot where they were living at my work.  I am hoping I can get him adjusted to a wet food in the morning and wet food in the evening routine.    

On another note, is there anything I can do to help him not get so lonely during the day?  I have a nice bed for him with a little buckwheat pillow, stuffed animal, cat toys, and cardboard scratcher for him.  He's got a lot of room to explore but I have noticed that he whines for attention and likes having my miniature poodle with him.  But I can't leave the dog in all day.  

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something interactive such as track ball toys, or even cardboard boxes kittens seem to love, grown cats too lol. There are cubes and tunnels available just about anywhere cat toys are sold. They even sell mats with toys sewn on them. When leaving out toys be sure not to leave out anything attached with a string, such as wand toys, these should be used only when your able to play with them with him, and then be put away, as cats can tend to eat string.

It can be hard to keep such a young guy occupied when alone, but there are a lot of interactive toys out there that can help. Of course you could get a second kitten as a buddy for him also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladycooper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!  I'll look for some boxes and track ball toys.  Another kitten would be fabulous if we didn't already have 4 grown cats.  We always said 4 was our limit until I found Snowman.  :-)  Or he found me, since momma cat moved him to where she somehow knew I would see him.