TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 4-5 weeks

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be sure to get the kitten spayed at 12 weeks old.
I'm not the OP, but just thought I should point out that almost all the vets where I live spay at 6 months and 4 months is the earliest it can be done. Not everyone is able to get their cats spayed so soon, doesn't mean they're not being responsible or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rescues and shelters spay early. Mine were done at the Humane Society.

Kittens need to be kept 100% away from intact males when a vet refuses to spay prior to 6 months. Kittens can become pregnant as young as 4 months old.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, nobody spays earlier than 4 months where I live. And yes, I'm aware kittens need to be kept inside before being spayed of course. Just pointing out that people here seem really judgemental of people who won't spay at the earliest possible age. For many people it isn't possible to spay so young.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry it appears that way to you. This is an openly pro-spay and pro-neuter site, and we do encourage fixing cats early, to avoid mating and pregnancy, as cat populations are out of control in many areas of the world.

However, once pregnant, we also offer unequivocal support.

That being said, the kitten in this thread is only a few weeks old, and needs to be spayed as early as possible to avoid a future pregnancy.

Although some vets refuse to spay prior to 6 months, there are many who share our concerns and do spay earlier. People need to call around.

Regardless, we are here to support our members, and as this thread belongs to S Saraya26 , I look forward to more posts about her new kitten! :)

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaaaaaah so cute! I agree with ashade1, looks like a girl to me!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess I'll be the odd man out...looks like a male to me. It can be hard to tell at 4-5 weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. I'm not quite sure yet. A better picture in a week or two with just the tail held up would help. Need to see if there are testicles or not, which sometimes descend later.

Either way, an early spay or neuter at 12 weeks is advised.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although some vets refuse to spay prior to 6 months, there are many who share our concerns and do spay earlier. People need to call around.
I actually called around myself when my kitten was under 6 months, and didn't find anyone who agreed to do it early. Early spay and neuter is not at all common where I live like it seems to be in the US.