Kitten food vs. Cat food

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to a pet food supplier today and asked for some good dry kitten food. She said all of the foods she sold (which were mostly labeled cat food) were good for kittens. She said they were all complete and balanced for cats of all life stages. I asked why certain foods were labeled for kittens and she said it was just marketing and meant to "aide" people searching for the proper food for their kitten. She also said that the only difference was that there is a bit more protein and fat content, which kittens would get by eating a bit more cat food.

So is "kitten" food all hype? Will my kitten be okay with whatever dry food I give them?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's hype.... I fed my cat, Angel kitten food when she was a kitten (my boys were adults when I got them). It has more calories for them as they grow. That's like saying puppy food is a hype which it is not. They need the extra fat content and protein. You certainly can feed an all life stages food and it'd be fine but kitten food has more calories if I had a kitten I'd feed kitten food but that's my preference. I hope I make sense here.

Last edited:

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I worried about this too because I have a grown male and a 6 month old kitten. She was getting kitten food until a month ago but now she gets adult food. She discovered her brothers food was far tastier than her own and now refuses to eat it. The dry they're getting is Applaws which is suitable from 3 months onwards. The kitten foods do have more protein and fat and she gets a little Hills Ideal Balance Kitten and a can of kitten food every other day but otherwise is on grown up food. As long as they're eating enough grown up food should be fine. Most of the super premium brands make their foods suitable for all stages.