Kitten fights older cat

kdlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having concerns that my 4.5 month old male kitten is getting too rough when "playing" with my smaller adult female. He cannot be in the same room as her without jumping and biting her.  Has anyone had any luck with Feliway for this type of thing? And will the kitten eventually outgrow this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is your male kitten neutered yet? If not, he needs to be neutered asap. Once his hormones calm down he will also be less aggressive.

Is your female spayed?

Feliway may help, but he is also being a kitten who is exhibiting age-appropriate behavior. Sounds like the female has a different temperament. You did not specify her age.

Does he have toys and a cat tree? Do you engage in interactive play with him? Kittens this age have loads of energy to burn!

servant indeed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 year old female and 4 month old male and just ordered a refill of Feliway. In my experience so far the Feliway has taken the edge off my female's annoyance/aggression towards the kitten, but it does not inhibit my kittens urge to play. The kitten is not fierce with her but still stalks and pounces. I really hope he grows out of it too, but in the meantime, try redirecting your kitten's energy onto a toy when he starts getting crazy. Get ready for neutering too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes to all. Spayed, neutered, cat tree, toys, boxes, tunnels, interactive play, etc. I even take the kitten outside w/harness/leash. My adult has been through this with another kitten. Eventually, he had a healthy respect for her but I don't recall if he was this aggressive when he was little.