Kitten feeding

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently increased the amount of food my kitten(who is about 6 to 7 months old) because she was acting like she was hungry all the time. it made me worry I wasn't feeding her enough so I added an extra meal.
Now with the larger amount of food her belly is starting to look a bit big and round after meals(it goes down after a while to it's original size eventually). Does this mean she is eating too much?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's impossible to over feed a kitten. They need way more food than an adult cat does in the first year of their lives. I suggest you just keep giving her as much as she will eat for now.

It's normal for any animal (or human) to have a rounder belly after eating. Is it significantly bigger? Bloating can mean she has worms. Do you worm her regularly? Even indoor only cats can pick up parasites.

Is she fed canned or dry food? Dry food tends to swell when it comes into contact with the water in a cat's stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she fed canned or dry food? Dry food tends to swell when it comes into contact with the water in a cat's stomach.
She is fed canned food except for one meal which is dry food. Most of the belly was after eating the dry.

It's normal for any animal (or human) to have a rounder belly after eating. Is it significantly bigger? Bloating can mean she has worms. Do you worm her regularly? Even indoor only cats can pick up parasites.
I will be taking her to the vet soon so I will have that checked. I don't think she has worms but I won't rule out the possibility.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I recently increased the amount of food my kitten(who is about 6 to 7 months old) because she was acting like she was hungry all the time. it made me worry I wasn't feeding her enough so I added an extra meal.
Kittens mature at one year of age (based on normal breeds. Larger breeds takes 2 years or more to reach maturity) and at this age, kittens go through a phase called growth spurt which they tend to eat more than usual and this will last through till they are around 1 1/2 years old and after that their food intake will taper off and they'll east less in amount and number of times.

Also take into consideration, they need roughly 200 - 250 calories per day for normal active cats and 300 calories for very active cats. Sometimes it';s not the amount being fed, it's the calorie needed for a day. So if their can food is low in calories, you need to feed them more times and if the can food is much higher in calories, you feed them less times. Check the label on the can to find out how many calories are there in that can you are feeding them with.