Kitten 'feeding' off non-mummy cat

neesey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, im cat mummy to 6 cats... we recently got an 8 weeks old male, and since weve had him my 8 month old female torti has been a mummy to him! She fusses over him, picks him up and lets her suckle on her nipples while they both purr!

Is this normal? Shes not had kittens, but always has been the mothering type...

Im not really worried, just wondered if its normal or not?

Thanks!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats are different so normal is a relative term
!

But my DLH Panda does the same thing as your eight month Tortoise Shell female cat. My DLH is also spayed and never had a litter of her own as well.

However my DLH has been very mothering to all my foster kittens that she has come in contact with. She would carry them around appropriately when they "needed" to be moved. If they where small enough to need to be licked for them to be stimulated to urinate and defaecate she would do that as well.

Now when I acquired my F3 Savannah as a kitten she "mothered" him as if he was any other foster kitten. But now Loki the Savannah is taller and longer then her. The DLH will still cuddle and lick him and the Savannah does the same to her. The Savannah is a little over a year old and DLH at about two years old still act like mother and kitten. Yes that means the Savannah still "nurses" off the DLH.

The picture in my signature of the two of them cuddling is real and not photo shopped. They have a very strong bond

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neesey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im glad its 'normal' lol

Its really sweet when poppy tries to pick leo up, shes a bit inexperienced and I think she will make a terrific mummy. Im glad also that it means they will always have a lovely bond.

Shes stopped going out too, always aware of where Leo is!