Kitten Eye Infection??

beckylou831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued two abandoned kittens in August and my estimation is that they are about 18 weeks old. One, a Siamese, has an eye infection - one of his eyes is pink and watery. I researched Cat Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) and I do not think my kitten has it because his eye is never stuck shut and it has not spread to his other eye or to the other kitten. They have a vet appointment in 2 weeks for shots and neutering but I figured I'd ask if anyone knew of anything I could do for him in the meantime. Thanks guys!

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is possible that he has a URI (viral infection like herpes or calcivirus) or a bacterial eye infection. He eye won't necessarily crust over with these conditions. Does his third eyelid appear? Does he have any drainage - tearing - sometimes rusty-colored or mucus? Has he been sneezing at all? I would watch it and see if it improves. However, if he started getting significant tearing, if his pupils look different from one another, or the redness spreads to the other eye, I would get him to the vet to look at it, and maybe give him eye drops. Hope your kitty feels better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckylou831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Just to answer some of your clarification questions..

No, his third eyelid does not usually appear, his eye is just red and watery but its always clear without muscus. No, he hasn't been sneezing - he has had this condition for a couple weeks now but it doesnt seem to be bothering him, worsening or spreading so i figured it was alright to wait for our vet appointment - I'll take another look at his pupils though to make sure they don't look irregular; thank you so much for your help!