Kitten enjoys outdoors; scared of strangers

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to give my kitten a little freedom and play on the back porch. I bought him a harness and took him outside for the first time a few days ago. He enjoyed it. Until people walked by. Then he wanted inside. He's not afraid of friends we have come over, but he doesn't particularly care for strangers walking past the open back door. He'll sometimes stay put, sometimes run away. It seems random as to what he'll put up with and what he won't. He really doesn't like the manager's office door opening and people suddenly appearing on him and always runs from that. (Office door is right next to our porch.)

As the days get warmer, the back door will be open more, and more opportunities for him to brave the scariness of people walking past. I was thinking of just letting the idea of the harness and outdoor time go for a while till he gets used to it, but my mom thinks I should take him outside daily to help him get used to it.

What do you guys think?

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's unusual or bad for a cat to be scared of new people, especially outside where he feels a little more vulnerable. All of my cats hide and listen to strangers for a while before coming and hanging out with us. As you do it more he might tolerate strangers a little better (not wanting to go in right away), but that's just going to take time. If he generally likes being outside maybe you can time it to when there are fewer people around.

ohws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another situation where I don't think that  a harness is appropriate. Better to have him unleashed and the door open so he can scarper inside if he wants to. The harness will only reduce his ability to leave the situation and increase his anxiety levels. This will probably make it harder for him to come to terms with strangers in the vicinity.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has the same problem with people walking past our house when we are out.  I started saying hello to everyone and they respond and smile.  Now he know they are not that scary.  He still hides from large dogs and joggers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, guys. I tried taking him out unharnessed this evening. I have chicken wire around the porch so he can't run off. He tried poking his head through a few times haha. He seemed to like that option. Screen open, unharnessed and mama right by his side. I loved on him lots and he rubbed all over everything, purring. Walked inside on and off, but spent longer and longer outside in between. As he gets more used to people walking past and more comfortable being outdoors, I'll start introducing the harness. I'll harness him inside and let him get used to the feel more inside before taking him outside. I don't want him to be able to get away, that's why I want to keep the harness and leash on him. Right now, he obviously would run immediately back inside though. He looks so adorable in his harness though!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using the harness is definitely safer, and you should always listen to your cat if he wants to go in.
Is he fixed?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup he's fixed!

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd give a little update. Kitten is doing much better with strangers walking past out doors. We even had a small dog come close to the porch and Cobalt was very interested! I think he thought it was a big cat. The dog was oblivious and never realized Cobalt was there, but did see me. He started yapping and still Cobalt was fine. We also had a cat visitor come up to the chicken wire and roll around on the ground! Cobalt was very polite. I've also taken him for a little walk out in the front a bit (I left the front door open.) He ran inside at first when he heard the dog next door barking, but I was able to coax him back out after. And he's perfectly fine with the harness now. Doesn't fuss when I put it on him, just walks a little funny haha. The biggest thing was taking him to the park for the first time! He did amazingly well! He went in and out of his carrier as he felt secure. He finally worked up enough courage to explore and kept close to my fiance's feet if he felt unsure. But it was a good first outing.

I'm so shocked though... my other kitty, Rigby, who has even worse fear issues (which we are also working on) has been interested in coming on the back porch as well!! I couldn't believe it that I could get him to come out! His fear of strangers... well, that might not ever disappate! Haha. You see the look in his eyes? That's pretty much the constant look he has unless he's being petted. He's a high stress cat. But this is huge for both of them. :)

Last edited: