Kitten Eats Dry Food Outside Home But Won't Touch It In Home?

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've been struggling to find a dry food my kitten likes for cost purposes. I went to a local pet store and was given a sample of the vitalcat freeze dried raw chicken nibs. She ate the entire sample pack in the store so I bought a bag thinking all would be well. Unfortunately, we get home and she refuses to touch it and only wants the wet stuff. I've also tried cheaper brands of wet food but the only other one she liked gave her diarrhea and all the other brands I've tried she turns her nose up at. How do I get her to eat this dry food? I know she likes it and from what I've been told if I'm going to feed her dry food this is some of the best stuff for her to eat

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whoa, that's so interesting. Did you use to feed her dry food before? The way I got my cats to get used to the new food is by mixing it with the old food and then eventually having none of the old food. But one of my cat refused to eat the new food at the beginning and would pick the old food out to eat, my mum just left it out and since he didn't get anything else to eat besides wet food only in the morning, he eventually ate the new food.
I don't know if it helps but this is what we did and they eat the new food now. Since your kitten did like the food, maybe she's just being picky cause she likes the wet food better? I know from my vet that, we don't have to feed wet food everyday. (but don't count on me on that, cause that's just from my vet, yours might think differently). Perhaps you might want to check with your vet if it's okay to stop feeding wet food and leave out the dry food to get her used to the dry food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried mixing several times. She won't touch it lol. She came with a bag of dry food but refused to eat it for over a day so I started giving her wet food because I was worried. I'm trying to cut down on the wet so she'll eat the dry but she's such a demanding stubborn little thing lol

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet wants me to leave the wet food since she's about 4 months and she needs the calories. But he does want me to keep trying to get her to eat the dry food

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha thats true, cause she's pretty young. What if you mixed the dry food with the wet food! :/

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She won't touch it. She tries to bury it lol