Kitten eating strange things.

darkally

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering some kittens and one of them I have noticed several times him attempting to eat "non" foodstuffs.

I caught him eating feathers from a chewtoy, a paper towel that only had water on it and found out he had eaten some yarn after he threw it up.

He has access to momma and food at all times during the day. the rest of the kittens both nurse and eat regular food, I haven't seen him eating the food but that doesn't mean that he isn't.

He has also been the one I have not been able to get to use the litter box as with one or two of the others ones I put them in when I saw them,squatting on the floor and they used the box just fine but with him I put him in and he kept running out and trying to find a place in the floor ( it did not matter if the litter was fresh or had been use he wouldn't use any litter box offered to him,and I have 4 in the house)

He is a sweet little guy that loves to cuddle at night but I have to watch that too because I get presents left for me in bed too :(

Last edited:

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens will try to eat and chew anything and everything. Best thing you can do is give something safe to chew on like a chew toy or something similar or when you see them eating something they shouldn't taking it away and giving them food instead. Sometimes young kittens who are teething will eat things or chew things they shouldn't because it feels good on their gums. It's not unusual for kittens to resist using the litter box at a young age they are just learning,  it takes a couple of months to really litter train most kittens to the point that they don't also go in other places like your bed. Having more litter boxes or keeping them near where the kitten is helpful so that the kitten doesn't have to go very far to use it especially when they are still learning.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely talk to your vet about this, and the shelter you're fostering for too. Yes, it's normal for kittens to be mouthy when teething, but he certainly shouldn't be eating non food items in this way. [article="22418"][/article]

With the litterbox, he's still young and may just be slow on the uptake. Dr Elsy's Kitten Attract is worth a try, as it can really help with this kind of situation. However, a through checkup would be a good idea, especially in view of his strange eating habits. It's possible there may be a blockage or obstruction somewhere, or that using the box is painful.[article="32366"][/article][article="32341"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkally

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is just the strange one of the bunch. All 5 others aren't doing these things, and the other 1 or 2 that weren't using the litter box just needed help once or twice being put in there and are doing great with it now.

Did I mention he also pees in some really strange spots? I found a little storage box that had been peed in and a water bowl.

This little guy also meows at the outside door every time I open it to go outside for something.

I haven't been finding poops lately so I really hope he has been using the litter box for that, either that or I am going to move something and find a whole pile of poops lol.

darkally

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering them out of pocket not associated with anyone. I can bring it up when I take my other guy to the vet for his eye. Just can't afford this visit already so hope nothing is wrong with him.

darkally

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said he is a wiley guy but otherwise alright.

He weighed in at 1.5 pounds while his big brother is over 2!