Kitten Eating Clumping Soy Litter

harmonia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I tried to introduce my kitten to a new clumping soy litter I wanted her to switch to and placed two handfuls of it in her tray. Almost immediately she went and ate some, or at least I assumed she did. Her head did the same motions as when she's eating. I tried to open her mouth to get it out but tiny kitten, tiny mouth, and nothing fell out. She keeps trying to get at them and has probably eaten a fair few pellets despite me trying to get her away.

Do I need to be worried? What I've read seems to say sodium bentonite is the culprit but I'm using a soy litter (Kit Cat Soy Clump Charcoal to be exact). The bag doesn't have an ingredient list either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harmonia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's not an option unfortunately. I don't live in the US where I assume the majority of the brands I've seen recommended are available in. None of the pet shops here sell that brand, and the only non-clumping litter I can find are wood pellets, that I personally cannot use, and paper pellets, that I've heard nightmare stories about. The best I can do is stay with the current clumping clay litter, but even that she'll chase down granules during play and eat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I can think of two things on why your kitty eats litter. First, if it’s no medical issues, she’s just curious and it’s a growing up thing and after awhile she’ll stop. Second is if she eats often, it could mean that she is having some sort of nutrients deficiencies and she’s getting it from the clay.

Just keep a close watch that she doesn’t take in too much or that’ll be bad for her digestive systems OR bring her in to the vet and have her health checked.

If it’s a growing up thing, she’ll stop once she gets older.

My boy used to eat clumping litter when he was very young and he’s a rescue and was very scrawny when he came home. I guess the lack of good food when he was abandoned.
Now he’s already two years old and still chasing the litter as they roll along the floor when he hops out of his litter box but he doesn’t eat them anymore. He stopped eating pretty soon after he was well nourished.

harmonia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just visited the vet and she was given a clean bill of health, though they didn't do any extensive blood tests or the like. I guess it's a growing up thing but I'm still worried she'll gulp them down when I'm not around, so I've mixed the pellets in with the granules hoping it'll discourage her. How much is too much?

harmonia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will do, thank you.