Kitten eating asparagus...

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normally when I'm cooking I keep all ingredients tightly sealed because of my kitten, he likes to jump on the bench and he would be very glad to help himself to a slice of ham or a pork cutlet. But today I was going to grill asparagus, so I didn't think I'd have to take all these extra cautions... Well, he took an asparagus and he ate part of the top. Not much, but still... should I be worried? Are raw green asparagus bad for cats?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally when I'm cooking I keep all ingredients tightly sealed because of my kitten, he likes to jump on the bench and he would be very glad to help himself to a slice of ham or a pork cutlet. But today I was going to grill asparagus, so I didn't think I'd have to take all these extra cautions... Well, he took an asparagus and he ate part of the top. Not much, but still... should I be worried? Are raw green asparagus bad for cats?
I read this:

Can cats eat asparagus? The answer is yes! Cats can eat asparagus in small amounts, it’s not toxic or poisonous for them ... Asparagus is high in dietary fiber, which can be good for your cat's digestion and help facilitate a healthy bowel movement ... Asparagus is also rich in all kinds of nutrients that can help keep your cat balanced. For example, Vitamin C gives your cat’s immune system a boost. Vitamin A helps with vision, and vitamin K helps prevent blood clots. There’s a high amount of the mineral folate too, which helps your feline’s muscles contract.

Can Cats Eat Asparagus?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked at this website before regarding vegetables that are safe for cats. I cannot vouch for the veracity of it, however; I haven't checked its sources or anything.

Safe and Unsafe Vegetables For Dogs & Cats | Preventive Vet

Asparagus is listed on it, and according to this website, the only danger is with regular consumption:

"Asparagus has a high alkaline content. When cats consume it regularly, it can change the pH of their urine. With time this can cause the formation of crystals which can lead to urinary tract blockages."

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl has been known to steal vegetables from time to time. Asparagus and corn are her two favorites. As long as you aren't purposefully feeding it and it wasn't heavily seasoned with garlic, a few stolen bites won't hurt.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it funny that more than one of you has a cat that will eat vegetables. On multiple occasions, when I've been cooking something, I've dropped various bits of vegetables on the floor, like when I am chopping. My cat has chewed on them and spit them out, with a facial expression like "this tastes so gross!"

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it funny that more than one of you has a cat that will eat vegetables. On multiple occasions, when I've been cooking something, I've dropped various bits of vegetables on the floor, like when I am chopping. My cat has chewed on them and spit them out, with a facial expression like "this tastes so gross!"
All cats I've had so far like vegetables. Not all vegetables, but I have found that a few are recurrent, like zucchini and green beans.
My Freya loves the green salad too. She's crazy about radicchio, arucola and valerian.