Kitten eating adult dry cat food

tima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, recently my family and I got our 4th cat. He’s above 4 months old now and I’m wondering what to do about the dry food problem. First, all the other 3 cats are adults. The eldest is almost 7 years old. We kept the baby in a separate room sleeping with my sister until the other 3 got used to him. Now that they are, I’m wondering if it’s okay to give him adult dry food? Since their eating spot is in my room and even if I kept a separate bowl for the kitten food, he wouldn’t eat it. I’ve already tried that but he chooses the adult dry food and I’ve heard kitten dry food isn’t good for adults as they gain weight. The kitten gets wet kitten food full packs, twice a day. So, I’m wondering if it’s okay? If not, what should I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Does the food you're giving the grown cats say All Life Stages? If so, it's fine for the youngster :)

Zeus63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He should be fine eating adult dry food. He's getting whatever extra nutrition he needs from the wet kitten food. There shouldn't be anything harmful to him in the adult dry food. Years ago there weren't so many choices in cat food. Plenty of kittens grew up eating nothing but cat food that was also meant for adult cats.

I recently brought new kittens into the house. I've been feeding my older cat the dried kitten food. As far as the wet food goes, I feed a combination. However it seems that my 13 year old cat seems to like the wet kitten food best and the kittens (now 8 and 9 months) are going for the adult food. I'm not worrying about it. I was a little concerned about the higher protein kitten food for my 13 yo because they used to think too much protein wasn't good for the kidneys. However, the latest research indicates phosphorus rather than protein is what you want to watch with older cats. I figure by feeding the dry kitten food free choice that the kittens are getting the nutrition they need. I am watching my older cat's weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Does the food you're giving the grown cats say All Life Stages? If so, it's fine for the youngster :)
I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that being sold where I live, ill look into it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He should be fine eating adult dry food. He's getting whatever extra nutrition he needs from the wet kitten food. There shouldn't be anything harmful to him in the adult dry food. Years ago there weren't so many choices in cat food. Plenty of kittens grew up eating nothing but cat food that was also meant for adult cats.

I recently brought new kittens into the house. I've been feeding my older cat the dried kitten food. As far as the wet food goes, I feed a combination. However it seems that my 13 year old cat seems to like the wet kitten food best and the kittens (now 8 and 9 months) are going for the adult food. I'm not worrying about it. I was a little concerned about the higher protein kitten food for my 13 yo because they used to think too much protein wasn't good for the kidneys. However, the latest research indicates phosphorus rather than protein is what you want to watch with older cats. I figure by feeding the dry kitten food free choice that the kittens are getting the nutrition they need. I am watching my older cat's weight.
Thank you so much! I just remembered that the 2nd youngest cat ate adult dry food around the kittens age too. So it should be fine. Maybe ill also get all life stages one as another person advised if i find it. Still, thanks!

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a new kitten, now about five months old, in the house. For dry food, we're feeding our 16 year old cat, 7 year old cat, and the kitten all a "all life stages" food from Nulo. Nulo is a very expensive food but we've certainly been pleased with how well our pets (cats and dogs) have done on this food. There are other, less expensive brands that have all life stages food as well.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes it should be fine as long as he eats kitten wet food :) Magnus decided he was eating senior dry food. I mixed the kitten bag in with the adult to use it up and that was that. We kept mixing until he turned 2, but I don't think that's necessary.