Kitten ear problem; picture included

twigasbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 month old kitten, that has a bit of an ear problem. I adopted her when she came to my door step at 3 weeks old. she was flee and worm ridden. Also, She has always had dark brown "gunk" in her ears, and no matter how much I clean them, there is always more. Her ears are also very sensitive when you rub the base of the ear, she does this thumper thing trying to "itch" it when you touch them. I have taken her to the vet many times, and they have found nothing wrong with her; they even have her stuff to prevent/kill mites if she had them. Which they said she didn't. Non the less, the problem still persists. I have also tried baby/mineral oil in the ears to losen the crud up, and then swab it out. It didn't work very well.
That being said, I was wondering if anybody else has this problem, and what are some ways I can fix this. I just want my poor baby's ears to feel better :(

Here is a picture of what the "gunk" looks like

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twigasbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I have another cat, and he doesn't have this problem

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my cats just have dirty ears.

The thumper thing you describe is quite normal for my cats.  Just like if you scratch a dogs chin you get the same response quite often.  If ear mites have been ruled out(and treated for anyways) I would not worry much, if she is ok rest of time.  

I wonder why vet has not said it may just be normal for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twigasbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been to three different vets since we've had her. And none of them have found ear mites, I'm guessing she just over produces ear wax? But is ear wax really that dark? She is a very happy, lovey dovey kitten, but it's just that she hates the bases of her ears rubbed because it bothers/ hurts her.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 3 vets I would relax.  If she is not bothered by her ears all day until you touch the base just respect that.  Most of my cats have same response.  Ear Wax can be dark.  

Cats I have had with ear mites would do anything to continue to scratch.  Raw spots on their ears by rubbing against carpet or door frame. If after few month all swabs come up negative then let her be.  Continue to clean the ears out.  

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She may have some airborne allergens that cause her ears to excrete more wax than other kitties.  I have one cat who constantly has icky ears. I just wipe them out with q-tips (which is what the vet does!) every month or so.  If she's not scratching excessively, then she's okay.