kitten dry coughs after drinking water

bthugny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my currently-13-weeks kitten three weeks ago. For the first two weeks, I gave him water in a bowl and all was well. Last week, I bought him a water fountain; he initially only drank from the bowl/puddle in the fountain and not from the faucet, and he was fine.

In these last three days, however, he began drinking from the faucet, which also brought upon his dry coughing/heaving. It always happens directly after he drinks so I know it's correlated. His coughs are barely audible and it only lasts for about 5-10 seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a cause for concern? Enough for a vet visit? I would appreciate any thoughts and advice!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, we had to place the pet fountain higher, so that air wasn't ingested at the same time as the water. I don't know if this will work in your case but maybe wait until he's bigger to give him the fountain?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my guys coughed everytime he drank from the fountain too. Scared me enough that we took him to the Vet, but he got a clean bill of health. He finally outgrew the issue.