Kitten doing whatever he wants

bubbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pinkdagger... i have changed Samson's name to Frankenstein. Why? He gets me up at 5am...no matter what. But, it depends whether or not I'm in the mood to listen to him whine and/or concerned that he'll waken my husband in the next room. I cannot put him outside the door...not feasable. What I can do is...go to the kitchen at 5...get his "wet food"...bring it back into the bedroom and get under my covers and hide. This worked before. Samson gets tired of whining and comes next to me and goes back to sleep...at least for two hours.

I have learned from this site about punishment. It doesn't do any good..... I have been giving Samson little treats when he stands by the kitchen counter whining..."I'm gonna jump on the counter now..." I look at him and say, "don't do it....no, Samson..." And, when he doesn't I give him a treat and say..."good boy...good listening..." It's not the words...it's the tone of my voice. I understand the sleeping part 'cause I'm not use to getting up at 5. It use to be 3. Sometimes he does wake me 3....I say..." are you nuts? " and pull the covers over my head. Do not...and I emphasize, do not... let him look into your eyes. You are dead, if that happens. He'll stomp on you...bite your big toe..... just move the toe but keep the covers over your head. You might sweat to death.... but you'll sleep a little longer. Water bottle doesn't work.... noise doesn't work....Samson knows when he's been bad and tries to apologize to me.... whining.... "Mama.... I need to be bad..."

Do not take him to a shelter. Pretend you're a cat. Talk to your cat. Seriously! And, don't give up. Always keep a wad of crumbled paper... pipe cleaner...little mouse... to throw when your cat starts to bite. I realized that when Samson does it (often) it's becaue 1. I'm not moving fast enough for him...2. Not paying attention to just him...and 3. On my computer or worse...on the phone talking to someone else. This site has really made me become aware of the needs of this kitten....
Samson Frankenstein Meshuganah Gilman

Last edited by a moderator:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately appeasing him when he's being intrusive or whiny is only encouraging him to do what he does, and it teaches him that if he keeps it up, he gets what he wants. It's not unlike having a puppy - if you crate the puppy, inevitably it's going to cry. For HOURS. Each time they go in the crate, they'll know you're leaving them for what feels like the end of time, and they'll keep up the crying for WEEKS before they calm down and realize they'll survive, you'll come back, and it's not the end of the world. When we lock cats out or ignore their meows, it's just a matter of time before they realize it's something that won't garner attention from you. There are times when I'm snappy in tone, like if a cat is about to paw open a cupboard and climb in, they get an "AY!" in a deep grumbly voice, and they take off running knowing they're doing something they shouldn't be.

Samson is gorgeous! Like a true Siamese, he sounds like quite the conversationalist.

Oh, and @Fhi09 actually posted a good response today in regards to kittens and play biting that has good suggestions for young cats biting: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/277909/how-to-stop-kitten-play-biting