Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gilbert

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jennalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got Eleanor (AKA Ellie) When she was 7 weeks old at the beginning of September this year, her siblings had already been adopted when we got her. She is now 15 weeks old, will be 16 weeks on Thursday. She is so playful and loving, always wrestling our feet and chasing invisible things around our apartment, so we figured she would do better if she had another kitten to play with. We adopted the new kitty on Sunday, he is 8 weeks old (and is so cute). They met while he was still in the carrier, at first Ellie didn't even notice him, but when she saw him, she puffed up her tail and hissed. We decided to keep the new kitty separate for a while. 

Ellie is fine with the new cat as long as she can't see him. They will play under the door with one another, Ellie will stick her paw under and the new kitty will pounce on it, and vice versa. She loves it! However, as soon as they see each other Ellie becomes defensive and hissy. I've read about doing a gradual visual introduction through baby-gating and towels, but I don't have a baby gate (I'm only 19, no babies here!) so that's not an option. 

We've done a few supervised meetings. We can distract Ellie with play, but if the new cat is too close, she becomes defensive. Ellie doesn't attack she just hisses, puffs up her tail sometimes, and peeks at him around corners. The new kitty will try to follow her around and play with her, which only aggravates her more. My boyfriend just wants to let them sort it out themselves, but I'm scared Ellie will attack out of fear. She seems scared of the newcomer more than she does angry or violent. 

Any advice is welcome as I've never done this before and really want them to not only tolerate each other but get along. Thanks! 

Also, our new kitty doesn't have a name yet, so if you'd like to help us, please vote in the poll! 

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a cutie! :heart4:
Check out the TCS article on Introducing Cats. There's a lot of good information there. I have to disagree with your BF. There are better ways to introduce cats than "letting the sort it out".