Kitten dilemma. Please help!

Melissa Jones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 nights ago my daughters friend drove to our house and could hear what sounded like a cat crying from her car. I immediately opened the hood. It was dark so I shined a flash light around the engine & could see 2 kittens (2-3 weeks old) eyes open but ears still folded and barely walking.
my son disassembled the skid plate to access the kittens safely. The girl said she noticed a cat run from her car parked at her home as she approached earlier in the day ( 6 hours prior) . Since it was late in the evening and raining we were hesitant to take the kittens back to where the mom most likely was. We have many fox in the area so we decided to keep them in our home and start a milk replacer asap and we’re able to stimulate them to urinate. I took them to the vet first thing the next morning to get them looked at. They seemed healthy and I got feeding advice. My intentions were to try to get the kittens back to their momma but my she discouraged.The momma cat most likely is a wild cat without a home. She said if I take them back I would be adding to the problem. Momma would take them away and I’d likely not see them again to get them spayed or find them a good home. On day 2 now & Feeding is getting better from the bottle.one is struggling a bit. They are urinating but not producing poop... even with stimulation. The one not eating as well does urinate more with darker urine. My dilemma is that momma is now coming back to where the car was parked where she placed the kittens. Do I continue to nurse and hope they will survive or do I give them back to her?? I thought about trying to capture her, but I have 3 cats and 2 dogs. I’m able to keep the kittens in a safe part of my home, but it would be impossible to bring another adult into my household.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do try a reunion, place the babies on a shallow box with a heat source and keep watch close by as their mewing might also attract predators. If she takes them back, try to establish a feeding station so in a couple of weeks, you can recapture the babies and trap/neuter the mom. If she doesn't, then you will have your answer. You could ask your local rescues if they can help.
Meanwhile, try to stimulate peeing before and after feeding. You can add some unflavored Pedialyte diluted 50/50 with filtered or fresh well water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melissa Jones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you do try a reunion, place the babies on a shallow box with a heat source and keep watch close by as their mewing might also attract predators. If she takes them back, try to establish a feeding station so in a couple of weeks, you can recapture the babies and trap/neuter the mom. If she doesn't, then you will have your answer. You could ask your local rescues if they can help.
Meanwhile, try to stimulate peeing before and after feeding. You can add some unflavored Pedialyte diluted 50/50 with filtered or fresh well water.
Thank you for the advice. It’s been a little over 48 hours and they still haven’t dedicated. Should I be concerned with constipation? They are urinating frequently, but that is all.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. It’s been a little over 48 hours and they still haven’t dedicated. Should I be concerned with constipation? They are urinating frequently, but that is all.
Kittens having momma are often reluctant to taking bottle. Its often easier with a needleless syringe or dropper. Its technically more difficult to the rescuer, but easier for the baby...

What kmr do you use? sometimes its necessary to try with some other kmr. If you can get a kmr based on goats milk its good. Why, even goats milk as such is useful. Especielly if you can get raw goats milk...

If the constipation continues, there are tricks.

1. use warm running water. Held the kitten in one hand, the rear end out; and let the warm water about 38-39 C, or 104-5 F. And with forefinger of the other hand tap the kitten on its private parts... It feels nice, cozy and exactly as mommas licking.

2. Take a cone of glycerine, the same as is used for humans with constipation. Cut out a thin sliver. And put it in the behind.

3. A couple of drops of oil in the kmr a couple of times a day. Almost any food oils should work, but coldpressed olive oil is best, as its a good food by itself.

4. If 4 doesnt work, minerale oil or fluid paraffine is even more potent. The only problem is to find some of food grade. :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are their sides? You can lightly, gently squeeze their sides (as if squeezing a tube of toothpaste) and see if they are pliable. You can add 1-2 drops of olive oil to the formula. Are they burping okay? If they are uncomfortable, you can add 2-3 drops of simethicone infant drops per bottle.
The formula temperature should be 98°-101°F and heated in a pan or by submerging the bottle in hot water; don't microwave the milk because hot spots can burn the tender mouths and cause bottle refusal. To keep the bottle warm, you can keep it wrapped in a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock or in a cup of hot water on a hot plate on low. I recommend using a candy thermometer and then testing the milk on your inner wrist - soon you will know the correct temperature by feel.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that the nest should be draft-free with an ambient temperature about 90°-93°F at this age. I put the tinies in a small box on soft, microfiber cloths and place that in a carrier covered with towels. I place the carrier halfway on a heated pet pad and I put a wrapped, heated rice-or-cornmeal sock in the small box alongside the babies but make sure they can crawl away from the heat source to prevent hyperthermia (which can be as dangerous as hypothermia).