Kitten diarrhea

Jay15004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I got a 2 month old kitten about 5 days ago and she suddenly started getting very smelly diarrhea ( the stool is more soft than watery ) . I took her to the vet and he prescribed the antibiotic called Biomox ( amoxicillin) . After researching a bit about it i found out one of the side effects of it is diarrhea. I find it a bit odd because my issue is the diarrhea in the first place. Is this medicine correct to give my kitten? And is it safe too?

I would also love if you could recommend any home remedies i can do for my cat to help with the diarrhea

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont have medical advices, but the overall advice. When your kitten or child has diarrhea, its important to give extra salts, as they lose lotsa of water and salts. Easiest and prob best are pedialyte. This made for babies, flavorless and clear, is the best.
Otherwise you can make your own.

A good type suitable for diarehea, is
you boil a little rice with extra water. Boil it long so the rice will be overboiled.
You take the water, blend it with minerale kitchen salt, not too much, so its barely salty.... And here you have your terrific homemade pedialyte extra suitable for diarrheas...

Has the kitten been dewormed? She probably should. Almost all kittens whom arent born by pure inside family girls, need deworming.

Typical its just round worms. But if the kitten was infested with fleas, also a tape worm dewormer may be necessary Or an all round dewormer. Because fleas are an inbetween host for tape worm...
(do avoid any dewormers made by Hartz!)-

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of the above advice StefanZ StefanZ has given you. But, I also want to point out that IF there was a real reason for the antibiotic, it may still help in the long run. A lot of meds, including many for humans as well, can actually have side effects of the same symptoms that they are trying to resolve.

Also, food changes can cause diarrhea. So, if she was eating something different before you adopted her, you might find out what it was and switch her back to that food. Then, you can do a gradual change from that food to what you want her to be fed.

Last edited: