Kitten Diarrhea/ Coronavirus & Salmonella

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update:
I've been giving her psyllium powder, proviable DC, slippery elm and S Boulardii, very gradually increasing the dose throughout the week and her stool keeps improving! I'm happy her gut is healing.

Lately I'd been wondering if an ingredient in her kibble might not agree with her. Would any of the things I'm giving her "hide" this if that was the case? Like oh the psyllium makes her stool look ok but actually she's allergic to turkey kinda thing.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quick update:
I've been giving her psyllium powder, proviable DC, slippery elm and S Boulardii, very gradually increasing the dose throughout the week and her stool keeps improving! I'm happy her gut is healing.

Lately I'd been wondering if an ingredient in her kibble might not agree with her. Would any of the things I'm giving her "hide" this if that was the case? Like oh the psyllium makes her stool look ok but actually she's allergic to turkey kinda thing.

questions probably best for the vet. but I think allergies generally go along with severe itching and stuff like that as well.

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
questions probably best for the vet. but I think allergies generally go along with severe itching and stuff like that as well.
The vet said she'd check in this week so I can ask her then :)

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Old thread, but wanted to give an update in case others come across this and wanted to know what ended up working.

I kind of suspected it was a diet thing from the start, but seeing as Fcov and Salmonella could potentially cause diarrhea I had to try explore that first but eventually gave a food change a go after a second vet suggested it.

After switching to Freely Rabbit Kibble her poo firmed up noticeably, but the very start of her movement would still be soft and she started going 3 times a day instead of her usual 2, I think maybe because there are peas and sweet potatoes in the kibble?

I then started introducing Stella & Chewy raw, which she doesn't quite like lol but I've been mixing it in with her kibble, right now at a 50/50 ratio and her poo has been excellent. I'd say like 95% optimal (she still squeezes out a small drop of mucus at the end of her movement, I'm not sure how normal that is?) She won't eat the Stella&Chewy by itself so I still have to mix it, but hoping to transition to Rawz wet rabbit to mix with!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the update and glad to hear that you have had some success. It sounds like you are in progress with figuring out the food that agrees with her. Monitor the stool and see if the mucus subsides. A very small amount of clear mucus is not an emergency, but if it increases, or becomes bloody it has to be checked. In the long run, it should subside though.

Dimple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It's been a long process, but I'm glad that it's progressing well. Hopeful that the mucus will subside with continued improvement in her diet :)