Kitten Decreased Appetite After Deworming and Shots

dg25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I was just wondering how long it takes for a kitten to bounce back to their normal eating amount after getting their first shots? I have a kitten who hasn’t eaten very much since getting her shots 3 days ago. Today she hasn’t eaten anything.
She is playful and i’ve been giving her water, just worried since typically these things resolve in 24 hours right?
Is she maybe more sensitive to it?
Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this IS quite worrisome! 24 hours is most certainly the timeframe one would expect them to be a little under the weather :frown: The fact that she is still playful is a good sign, but I still think you need to talk to your Vet, pronto. She needs nourishment. Afterall, she's a growing kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dg25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

This is quite concerning - have you had a chance to talk with the vet?

Can you try some KMR, or some unflavored pedialyte?
Hi!

This is quite concerning - have you had a chance to talk with the vet?

Can you try some KMR, or some unflavored pedialyte?
Hi, yes I ended up taking her to the vet. From what he could tell she seems fine, bright, not dehydrated. She’s too small for any anti vomiting medicine so the best he told me i could do was keep her hydrated and fed with this royal canin recovery food he gave me. As well as he gave her some fluids just in case. We ended up ruling out that it was the dewormer that is causing her to be so upset, I think she is too small for the amount given to her. The directions on the box were misleading and i’m thinking she got a tiny bit too much or it was too concentrated for her weight. It’s been about 5 days, still not wanting to eat or drink water but is nursing from mom. I’ve been syringe feeding her every two - three hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dg25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, this IS quite worrisome! 24 hours is most certainly the timeframe one would expect them to be a little under the weather :frown: The fact that she is still playful is a good sign, but I still think you need to talk to your Vet, pronto. She needs nourishment. Afterall, she's a growing kitten.
Hi, yes I ended up taking her to the vet. From what he could tell she seems fine, bright, not dehydrated. She’s too small for any anti vomiting medicine so the best he told me i could do was keep her hydrated and fed with this royal canin recovery food he gave me. As well as he gave her some fluids just in case. We ended up ruling out that it was the dewormer that is causing her to be so upset, I think she is too small for the amount given to her. The directions on the box were misleading and i’m thinking she got a tiny bit too much or it was too concentrated for her weight. It’s been about 5 days, still not wanting to eat or drink water but is nursing from mom. She was playful, but now more laid back and definitely not feeling herself.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, sweetie, hang in there and get better!! Hopefully mom's milk helps her body to recuperate :vibes::crossfingers::hugs: