Kitten Confusion

ashleigh lupton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted 2 eight week old kittens, Izzy and Luna, from a local humane society. They are not litter mates and were each in their own cage. Izzy is a bit reserved and really has to scope things out before going to check them out. She is also extremely attached to me already. She will cry if she can't at least see me. Luna on the other hand is very outgoing and interested in exploring, but also pretty attached to me.

To get acclimated to their new home and me, I had them in separate bathrooms. Each with their own litter box, bed, food & water, and toys. After they both seemed to be comfortable with their new surroundings and me I decided to let them meet. I took Luna into the bathroom that Izzy has been in. Luna explored it a bit first, which was just fine with Izzy who was hunkered down watching this new creature intently. Once Luna finally noticed Izzy she ran right up Izzy who DID NOT like that. Izzy growled and Luna froze. Izzy continued to growl which then turned into a hiss and a little swatting at Luna. All Luna really wants to do is play with Izzy. That would happen every time I tried to get them to meet each other.

Today, I decided to try something new. I took both kittens into my walk in shower and held Izzy while Luna walked around us. This seemed to work a little bit. There was a little bit or growling and hissing, but it eventually quieted down for the most part. Izzy got to the point where she was comfortably cleaning herself in my lap and grabbing at Luna's tail when it would flop in her face, but when ever Luna would get too close to her face then she would hiss again. It was about lunch time then, so I went and got their wet food and fed Izzy inside the show (I closed the door so they could see each other, but not get to each other). Once they finished eating, they were playing with each other through the glass. When they were doing that there was no hissing or growling. Then I decided to open the door a little and let them interact. During this interaction and all of the others they have the following happens: Izzy is fine whenever she is the one instigating the play/action, but if Luna attempts to play back with her or instigate the play Izzy gets upset and will start the hissing, growling and swatting again. For example, they were stalking each other around the corner of the shower. Izzy shook her butt and lept around the corner at Luna, who then tried to bat playfully at Izzy. Izzy then hissed at Luna and back up.

We had a little success with nap time earlier i think. Izzy came and curled up on my belly while I was in bed and got comfortable. Luna then came up about 2 minutes later and was walking on my chest and rubbing on my face. Izzy initially let off a little growl, but then stopped when I told her it was ok and petted her. Izzy fell asleep and Luna began rooting around under Izzy's chin and paws. Luna even licked Izzy's back and kneaded on her back a little. Izzy didn't really wake up and the few times she did she would let Luna lay close or even on one of her paws. At one point Izzy even had her head resting on Luna's head. Then Luna was to rowdy and woke Izzy up. Izzy wasn't happy and let off a little chirp noise and swatted at Luna, then went back to sleep once Luna stopped bothering her.

Even now as I'm sitting her writing this they both got in my lap. Izzy hissed a little and growled, but they got close to each other. Izzy was even sniffing Luna's back and let off a little growl, then started licking Luna's back for a few second. Now they both asleep next to each other. I'm so confused and at a lose for what exactly is going on and how to get them to be happy and comfortable play mates. Please help!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you are worrying too much. Izzy and Luna are doing fine. I would not interfere too much. And relax! Cats tend to pick up on your feelings so if you are tense, they get tense. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleigh lupton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! My boyfriend says I'm being a helicopter parent! lol I'll let them do their thing and just see how it goes!