Kitten coming alone at night? Not it's usual behavior.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little stray gray kitten I have been feeding has only been coming to eat during the night, and I have not seen it with it's mother or littermate, only alone. Is there a reason it's not with it's family, because the other kitten is still with it's mom all the time. Could this gray kitten be a male, because I think the other kitten with it's mom is a female. Mabye it was banished to prevent interbreeding?

obi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten in question? If he was coming with his mom and sister before, and now comes alone, it's possible that mom and sister have been killed.
Feral cats aren't as strict about driving off their offspring as most other mammals are, and that's simply because they aren't living in "natural" conditions for them, really. Many cat colonies have multiple generations with a whole lot of inbreeding going on . . .. Anyway, if you know where mom and sister usually hang out, you might try looking for them. I hope you plan on doing some TNR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No you got it all wrong, the mom and sister come each day to eat they are alive, but they gray one is not with them, he/she comes alone at night when the mom and sister are sleeping. The kitten is more than half the size of the mom, I guess mabye 5 months old.

As of a month ago the gray kitten was always with mom and sister, no matter what time of the day. I noticed the mom always chasing away the gray one, and it seems the black kitten is more dominant, it always eats first.