Kitten claw concern

HILLSofNH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got two 8 week old kittens who are brother and sister. A couple of days ago I noticed some crusty stuff on my girl kittens nail. They like to play together a lot and sometimes they get a bit too aggressive with each-other. I’m scheduling to bring them to the vet in a couple of weeks for their shots. Should I be concerned and try to find a vet sooner? It doesn’t seem to affect her at all, she is eating, playing, climbing like usual. I read that cat’s nails are like onions and they are able to peel away layers if it gets damaged etc. does anyone know what I’m dealing with? Thanks!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it is NOT the normal peeling of the claw sheath. That happens without any signs. You just find a little mini-claw lying somewhere. What I don't know is what it is. I'd suggest watching it for a couple of days. Use the pictures you posted as a reference. IF it changes at all in color or texture, gets bigger, or starts causing problems, OR if her appetite or play habits change, or she limps, or she won't use the box, THEN find someone who can see her immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HILLSofNH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it is NOT the normal peeling of the claw sheath. That happens without any signs. You just find a little mini-claw lying somewhere. What I don't know is what it is. I'd suggest watching it for a couple of days. Use the pictures you posted as a reference. IF it changes at all in color or texture, gets bigger, or starts causing problems, OR if her appetite or play habits change, or she limps, or she won't use the box, THEN find someone who can see her immediately.
Thanks I’ll keep an eye on it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HILLSofNH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks everyone for your responses. I’m new to this community and appreciate all the interactions so far. Meanwhile, meet my two babies- Theodore and Pepper! Both are happy and bonded siblings. I will keep an eye on pepper in the coming days. Have a great night everyone.

Attachments