Kitten chasing older cat

adeebm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a 3 year old cat, Sunny. I recently got a kitten named Thunder, who is about 4mo now. They were introduced with the standard procedure, and Sunny is taking it pretty well. They will eat together, no hissing, etc. The only problem is that Thunder had taken to jumping on and wrestling with Sunny. This doesn't go well for him, as Sunny starts to get angry. He can be distracted with toys, but as soon he's done with toys he starts chasing. He's still kept in his own room most of the time for this reason. What can I do to help them get along, and let them mix unsupervised?

--Adeeb

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is Sunny putting Thunder in his place when he's wanting to play?. My Sophie only wants to play on her terms, so when Jack wants to wrestle she quickly lets him know she's not interested with a hiss and a bop or two on the head.

I would just keep them together but keep an eye on them. As long as there's no blood drawn, but l would make sure both their claws are trimmed. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adeebm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He rubs away at first, but then he'll start fighting back. I haven't seen blood, but they seem to get pretty vicious. I usually have to separate them. Thunder will sometimes meow like he got bit too hard, but always goes back for more.

--Adeeb

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to tell without seeing them, but it sounds normal  to me?.

Jack would pester the life out of Rosie and Sophie, and Rosie usually wrestles with him, but like Thunder he would still go back for more even if he did give out a small yell.

As l say, as long as there's no blood being drawn just keep an eye on them,  because Sunny will let him know that he's the alpha cat and Thunder is the brat! 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. This is almost surely just hard play. These wrestling matches can see quite rough.  If you havent seen them before, you could believe there is serious blood shead coming soon....

But there almost never is.    Perhaps a scratch, but verry seldom more.    :)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In time they will work it out, but I agree with keeping them separated when you aren't there to supervise.

You should be putting the kitten in the separate room when you separate them, not Sunny. Sunny is resident cat, and should come first. :)

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten playfully attacks my 2 year old all the time. My 2 year old isn't really tolerant of it bc she only wants to play when she wants to play. She will hard play back with the kitten and the kitten will always come back for more. There has never been any blood drawn and that is just them. Being them. Lol. I don't worry about them. Its just how they play. I only supervised them until my kitten was old enough to defend herself fully during their play. She would yelp a lot when she was little bc the big cat showed no mercy but now she goes for it and I never hear a peep except for the occasional growl.