Kitten chasing new kitten out of litter box

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I have a 9 week old kitten, we got her about 3 weeks ago when she was 6 weeks old (I'm not sure if this matters or not) and her name is Morrissey. 3 days ago we got an 7 1/2 week old kitten, her name is Tardis. My older cat (year and half) Anders, accepted both of them right away, no hissing or pawing, he cleans them both and sleeps and plays with both.

Now, my issue is that Morrissey will not let Tardis use the litter box. For the first day Morrissey wanted nothing to do with Tardis and would hiss. However, after the first night they now play with each and there is no hissing.. UNLESS it has to do with the litter box. We have 3 litter boxes and whenever Tardis tries to use one, Morrissey hisses and chases her out.. At first I figured "no big deal, they will work it out" well... this morning Tardis was playing on our bed and just randomly started peeing... by the amount I would bet she held it all night. I decided to go out and buy a brand new box, which I put in the corner of our room (I rather not have it in there, but right now it's the only way) and I only let Tardis use it.. However, Morrissey STILL tries to come in and hiss when she is in. When she does this, I remove her from my room. I cannot have Tardis peeing in my bed or holding it (that just doesn't seem good). 

Is there any reason she is doing this? Do you think it will stop in time? Am I doing the right thing by stepping in and making Morrissey leave? Does anyone have any other tips?

Thanks in advance and sorry for it being so long!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad situation that shouldn't be allowed to continue. Looks like Morrissey is a bully. Is there a place where you can place the litter box for Tardis that is out of Morrisey's reach? Like a room that Tardis is allowed in, but not Morrissey? I think the best way for now is to separate them both and do introductions (even though they sort of like each other already). Give Tardis a room of her own. She needs to be able to use the box without fear -- it's a pretty major reason for inappropriate elimination. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We only have 2 bedrooms, mine and my daughters. Our bathroom isn't very big, but I guess I could lock her in there. I just feel bad, Tardis is very human social and always wants to be around, whereas Morrissey doesn't care if we are around one way or the other. I feel bad for locking Tardis up... My husband also said he felt like Morrissey was a bully, she will push Anders away from food sometimes. However, Anders put a stop to that by batting her a couple of times. 

I also did not fault Tardis for the accident, I can't blame her. So far, I have been able to keep Morrissey out of the new box by watching them 24/7.

If I lock Tardis in the bathroom, does it need to be 24/7? For how long?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We only have 2 bedrooms, mine and my daughters. Our bathroom isn't very big, but I guess I could lock her in there. I just feel bad, Tardis is very human social and always wants to be around, whereas Morrissey doesn't care if we are around one way or the other. I feel bad for locking Tardis up... My husband also said he felt like Morrissey was a bully, she will push Anders away from food sometimes. However, Anders put a stop to that by batting her a couple of times. 

I also did not fault Tardis for the accident, I can't blame her. So far, I have been able to keep Morrissey out of the new box by watching them 24/7.

If I lock Tardis in the bathroom, does it need to be 24/7? For how long?
Is there a place where you can put a litter box that's far out of sight and let Tardis use it? As in, Morrissey doesn't know when Tardis uses it? Does she stalk Tardis all day? 

Can you add a 4th one? Some people do (number of cats + 1) boxes. 

EDIT: I missed this part:
 I decided to go out and buy a brand new box, which I put in the corner of our room (I rather not have it in there, but right now it's the only way) and I only let Tardis use it..
This is a good solution. How has it been working out? Can you disallow Morrisey in the room for the time being? 24/7, until Tardis is consistently using the box without Morrissey scaring her, poor baby. 

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the new box thing worked... I put the box in the closet yesterday and kept the door open. However, I would NOT let Morrissey go in there. We have not had anymore accidents, and Morrissey doesn't even try to go into the closet anymore. 

Also, Morrissey has let Tardis use the other boxes twice already today! I'm hoping that it stays that way.. The have been acting like best friends all day today.. Playing around the house and getting into trouble lol

I do plan to keep the other box in the closet for a while though, until I know for sure that Morrissey will leave her alone with the other boxes.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do plan to keep the other box in the closet for a while though, until I know for sure that Morrissey will leave her alone with the other boxes.
Great idea! I would give it maybe a month and see how things are progressing. If you do decide to move the box away down the road, be sure to do it gradually (some cats may be confused if the box aren't where they are used to seeing it, although some isn't bothered by the box moving as long as you show them where the new location is).

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They now both use the same box, there is no chasing or hissing! I actually moved the other box out of my room because it was not being used. Thanks for all the help :)