Kitten changing fur color?

arellamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little Delilah is a very healthy girl, the vet recently gave her a completely clean bill of health, and she's been eating very well. She's active, sleeps regularly, everything checks out.

But I've recently noticed a change in her fur.

When we got her, she was dark gray with white splotches on her face, tummy, and socks on her feet. She also had a very dark gray spot on her nose, and a ringed tail. Recently I've noticed that dark gray fur is starting to get stripey, like a tabby (I guarantee you that was not the case when we got her, no markings on her body at all and I had checked her carefully). Also the dark gray spot on her face is lightening a LOT, with little white furs popping up in it.

Is this normal for a kitten? I keep seeing conflicting information on it, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I don't brush her every day (she hates brushing and runs from it), but I do brush her multiple times a week. She's very good about grooming herself anyway.

Thank you!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the striped tail indicates that she has some tabby genes in her. Has the weather been cool, hot or normal recently? Some cats change color when they shed the undercoat for summer or it starts growing back for winter. If she has had a fever recently, it could be what they call fever coat. Until you have had her several years, you wouldn't notice a cycle of color change. I know my Sheba tends to get darker during the winter, due to some Siamese genes in her background.

Can you post a picture from when you got her and one from recently for comparison? I looked at the ones you posted a couple of weeks ago, but have none to compare them with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arellamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I didn't answer immediately. We ended up taking Delilah to the vet (she had to get some of her vaccinations anyway). The vet looked her over, did a few tests, and pointed out that she was perfectly healthy. He said he's seen a lot of cats with markings on their face like hers turn lighter, or even completely white before they reach a year old, and also gain more distinct tabby markings - he said he doubts her body fur got lighter, he thinks the tabby markings got darker. Her meow is changing too, from a light mew to something very much cat-like. BUT everything else checked out fine, she got her round of vaccinations, and everything's good!

I guess it's just a case of my little girl growing up fast?

Thank you for your input!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you post pictures?

my 11 week old kitten sojo is all black and i noticed earlier he has some grayish and brownish shading hmm

sez2929

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally normal, my kittens change constantly, pure white when they are born and develop their colouring over time and don't reach their adult colouring until about 3 years of age.