Kitten/Cat Introduction

diva cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I am a newbie here so hello everyone!

Last Saturday I adopted a new little kitten, a Siamese who I named Sasha.
I have read about kitten intros before and when it came down to the moment of truth I didn't do any of what I read about. My resident cat Mama (about 2 1/2yrs), is hissing and growling with the occasional swipe of her paw. I have tries the vanilla trick and it seemed to make matters worse. The kitten is about 5 weeks old, she was found in a box in a parking lot. I took her to the vet today and other than being malnutrition, Sasha is fine. Mama and Sasha are able to sleep in the same room a couple feet away. I see Mama sometimes stare at the kitten without growling or wagging her tail at all. Mama, who usually sleeps with me, did not the first day. Finally after persuading her, she started to sleep with me again but we are still not on good terms. She growls and hisses at me which I heartbreaking because she is my baby. I can pet her a little bit before she is angry again. I hope for her to love me again. I also want here to get along with the new kitten. My friend has eight cats and they all just 'worked it out'. Sasha does have a 'base camp'. Mama only starts to growl when the kitten gets to close. I have given Mama more attention than usually so it's not as if I stay with the kitten more. I know it has only been a couple days, I just want things to start cooling down. I am trying the towel method about swapping scents. Should I do it multiple times a day? Mama seems to freak out when I rub the towel on her, so is that normal for a resistant resident cat?
Any ideas on what I should do? Should I try to restart and try the original methods everyone follows? Please and thank you!

magderb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats are freaks... I just got a new kitten also and they liked each other immediately. I've had 2 kittens in my life, and 4 adult cats. The last adult cat I adopted as a kitten I got at 10 years old, I had her for 15 years after. Amazing I know, but  2 weeks ago she passed away. Derby was my first kitten and I introduced him to Maggie right away. Thinking a kitten would be different, she hated him. But over the years they tolerated each other. Derby is a ball of love and tried to cuddle Maggie all the time. She never appreciated it... but they would lay on the bed together and sofa, and had no issues sharing food.

My experience with introducing older cats, was really a work in progress. You have to remove them from each other. They will have territory issues. I think your older cat is like, "WTH is this cat doing in MY space and putting her scent on MY human." Let's face it, they own us...  It's hard not to cuddle a little kitten, and I'm so happy Derby and our new girl Serendipity were fast friends, HE loves other cats, always has. But I didn't want to start their relationship on a bad note but they wanted to be around each other immediately. I personally believe divine intervention was involved because that's the only explanation. She has brought new life when we were still sad about losing Maggie.

I would separate them completely for at least a week, my cats are strange and love cat carriers, they both take their naps in them, so wherever your cats sleep, take the towel (as you said) or blanket and introduce it. Let them discover the new scent at their leisure. If your cats his at it, or at each other under doors, they are not ready to have a face to face, it will turn out to be a claw to face. Listen to their meows, if it's growling, or low, this isn't a friendly tone. When they both "meep!" or "murrrp!" with tail up and ears forward, then get a baby gate between rooms and allow 20-30 minutes interaction. This way they both have a safe zone. If you notice too many hisses or stressed out body language, close visiting hours. Then rinse and repeat.... it can be laborious, but it's best to have your kitties together on good terms.

To distract two cats during a meeting, I think positive reinforcement is necessary. I would use a laser pointer in one room for the cat, the other liked watching it, and it would let the other cat play with it, while separated. When the door is closed or open, give treats nearby, so they associate that cat with something good.

That's all I have to offer.... 

Oh yeah, if your cat hisses at you, hiss back. You are the dominant, hissing works well. Unless you are forcing introduction and the cat hisses at you, he/she is saying... this is making me uncomfortable, please stop before I get crazy. It's their way of saying "Step off... I'm not comfortable!"

Best of luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diva cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice and sorry for your lost.
I just have a couple of questions. I will be leaving for a week and the kitten will be staying at my aunts house. Do you think this will make more tension between the two cats or bring me back to the beginning? Durning the week of separation, how much attention should I be giving to each cat? Should I let the kitten out to explore while the other is locked in a room or should I put her in the kittens base camp? I currently have the towel I wrapped the kitten in underneath the other cat's food and water. Earlier the older cat did not eat but it seems she gave up and started to eat with the towel under her bowls. Is this progress? How can I get the older cat to love me again? Any other advice?