Kitten/cat clothing?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows a place that sells clothing spefically made for cats. My kitten is 8 weeks old and I'm hoping to find something to fit a kitten, I would like to get her used to wearing a shirt/sweater now. She gets cold in my apartment.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i think most cat owners who have clothes for their cats buy dog ones...
i've thought about buying Java a sweater for the wintertime, but can't seem to find one i like for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I did see some cat clothes in Petsmart (two tank tops) but they are way to big for my kitten still, as are all the dog clothes

I think I will go to toys r us and look at doll clothes.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Doll clothes wont have the right dimensions for a cat. The arm placement will be different. Try lookin at a store that sells teacup size for dogs. You should be able to find her something there.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you'd really find anything small enough for a 8 week old kitten. Is this a short hair or a sphynx (hairless) kitten?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw cute doggie (and quite small) clothes in Old Navy.

I also saw a really cute book in Barnes & Noble on how to crochet clothes for your animals. (if you do that, be sure your animal is not allergic to wool first)

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, just a thought, but what about clothes for a Webkinz. They are small and meant to fit on stuffed dogs/cats so the apparel should fit the anatomy of a kitten.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except for a Sphynx kitten, I would not put any clothes/sweater on the kitten. IMO it would not allow them to adjust to the temputure on their own. Most kittens/cats find a nice blanket to curl up in if they get too cold.

danits_24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,
I think you can find kittens clothes at a pet store... I couldn't find anything on line...

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas
I found some really cute teeny dog clothes on ebay that should fit her.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Except for a Sphynx kitten, I would not put any clothes/sweater on the kitten. IMO it would not allow them to adjust to the temputure on their own. Most kittens/cats find a nice blanket to curl up in if they get too cold.
She really likes to be with me all the time unless she is in play mode and wanting to run around. So when she has to go curl up under a blanket somewhere to keep warm, I would like to be able to keep her warm with a shirt or light sweater instead so she can keep hanging out with me. I want to keep the close bond with her. I also worry about her when she crawls underneath my flannel sheet and 2 thick comforters all night with no air. She won't be wearing the shirt 24/7.

bbkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just a thought, but if you are any good craft wise, why not make your kitten something? Knitting is a great hobby and it would be fairly easy to come up with a sweater pattern - I'm sure there must be some on the internet!!

phelana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
personally I do not think this is a good idea..cats like to groom themselves..they are not meant to wear clothes..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand the covers thing either. Friend of mine had a manx/maine coon mix that would go to the very bottom of the bed UNDER the covers where it was tight and sleep. How she breathed I have no clue

If you want to experiment; you go under the blankets about where the cat is and see - you really can breathe but IMO its uncomfortable

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL, I've tried that, I totally cannot breathe under blankets, at all.
My kitty slept at the bottom of the bed where it was tight too, one night, and I kept waking up all night I was so worried about her, I kept lifting the blankets to let fresh air in.
I know cats sleep like that sometimes but I still can't help worrying just because I know how horrible it is for me when my head is under a blanket for even a few seconds for not being able to breathe.

I ordered a really pretty "sweater dress" off ebay. Its for toy size dogs and he measurements sound right.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really don't think that a cat would enjoy wearing clothes, a cat already has a coat that is actually suitable for outdoor living. It is only my opinion but putting your kitten in clothes does not seem fair to it. Cats like to snuggle in warm places and sleep, they sleep a lot of the time so a jumper would not actually change that. I also can't see how a jumper would affect your bond with your cat, my cat snuggles up to me all the time and its lovely.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, not a good idea.
Your cat's body needs to acclimate and it will never be able to do so while wearing clothes.

Spend the day in a well air conditioned room, 75-80 degrees or so, and then walk out into the heat.
You'll be a lot hotter than you would if you had been acclimated to the outside temperature.

Your cat will bond to you just fine as it is.
Forcing a cat to spend time with you (no matter the method you use) will actually have the opposite effect and it will begin to avoid instead.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Forcing a cat to spend time with you (no matter the method you use) will actually have the opposite effect and it will begin to avoid instead.
Who said anything about forcing? There would be no point in forcing her to do anything.