Kitten care !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selena16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm actually getting her collar tag mad its shipping to me as we speak !! I am going to collar her ! Um so because she won't be eating her litter anymore may I buy clumping litter ?? And her foster mom won't give her to me before 12 weeks its hard to go visit it her because she lives far from me ! S I haven't met biscuit yet !:( I'm hoping to get a lift up to her house to have some 1 on 1 time when she is a big older ! I heard she is a very active cat already trying to climb out her basket away from her mommy and siblings ! So I am kitty proofing my house since she seems really curious !

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear you are going to collar her. Just make sure the one they send is specified for kittens, and that she weighs at least two pounds before you put it on her. Most kitten collars are for 2-6 pounds so after she reaches that weight (or whichever is designated by the individual collar) make sure you switch her to an adult size. Otherwise it will just fall off and makes the point of having it moot. 

Yes. 99.9% of the time 12 week old kittens do not eat the litter and it is perfectly safe to use a clumping formula. That said, anytime you have a new cat you want to watch them carefully for the first few days in everything that they do to be sure they don't have any weird quirks. Kittens that need a non-clumping litter are those in the 4-6 week range. This is because their vision isn't very defined yet so they explore everything by tasting it. By 12 weeks her vision will be sharp and she won't need to taste to the litter to know what it is. So, unless she is a total oddball she will be well past the tasting phase and you will be fine with a clumping litter. If it really concerns you then you certainly can use a non-clumping variety or, meet in the middle and use a litter made from natural materials that doesn't pose the same risks that clay does. Examples would be brands made of wood, pine, or corn cobs (my personal favorite). Choosing the right litter is just a matter of preference of the owner and, more importantly, the preference of the cat. If she doesn't like whatever you have chosen don't hesitate to try something else. 

All kittens will have that natural curiosity though it sounds like Biscuit may be even more inclined. I'm happy to hear her foster family won't let her go prior to 12 weeks- to me that really shows that they have her best interest at heart and you should be reassured that she is in good hands. If I were you I would be sure I got up there for at least one meet and greet before fully committing to the adoption.  Cats respond to different people in different ways and the only way to know that you are right for each other is to meet in person. I have seen kittens be very shy but totally warm up to one person in general. And, I have seen the opposite happen, where the kitten is very social but doesn't vibe with someone. So, as much as you already love her just based on her look keep your mind and your heart open until you two meet and you know for sure that it's the right match for both of you. If for some unlikely reason it doesn't feel right that's okay- the right home for her is out there same as the right kitten is just waiting for you! It's unlikely you two won't mesh but you would be smart to prepare yourself for the possibility just in case. 

selena16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes of course I'm going to meet up with her mom at her work today,so I'll see if she won't mind me stopping by when biscuit is older :) I now biscuits cat mommy though :)

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Didn't Innova do a voluntary recall of some of their dry products due to possible salmonella? I saw it on Petsmarts' shelves -- they took out all the dry Innova stuff.

selena16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's not good !! I almost went out and bought that!!

katrii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi selena16 im Katrii and this is what i personally use for my kitten, food and litter wise. As you can see i use natural litter though it doesnt clump it comes in a pellet form and when its wet it just turns to a dust, it is quite good at staying dry, also i feed my kitten special kitten formulated Advance dry food. It was recommended by my vet and i use that storage container for it because lots comes with it, and thats roughly the amount i feed it, its about 1/2 cup which is what was recommended by my vet. i also feed my kitten canned tuna (not all the time just a treat) raw chicken wings and raw chicken eggs.