Kitten Care at local Shelter

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is so sweet! I'm so glad to hear that her infection is clearing :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Evening Everyone,

I have been having so much fun with the kittens I forgot to post!

Runt Runt (hubbys nickname for her) is up to 8 and 5/8 ounces.  She will sometimes try to eat the kitten gruel but loves her bottle.  She is out and about in the dinning room with the other kittens and follows them around.  She tries to play but is just not where they are yet in development.  They are quite gentle with her and sleep with her a lot.  I find them all cuddled up in her carrier snoozing away.  I have the carrier and the rabbit cage open from the time I get up until I go to bed and they all run between the two and generally cause a ruckus. 

The bully is so big now.  She is over a pound but I haven't gotten her weight yet today.  Actually all of them are over a pound now and doing well.  They are so cute.  I cant stand it. 

Runt Runt is in the rabbit cage playing with the toys and hopping around.  Hubby came home from work and looked at her...then asked.  Is that Runt Runt?  I was yep...is something wrong?  He was surprised and says she looks really good!  She is starting to look like a kitten and not a bat now.  He has been paying close attention to them all.  He said that if he was going to keep one it would be the bully as she is so funny to watch with a personality to match.  So I am not sure if she will be going back to the shelter.  Time will tell.

He said to me.  I hope that they all go to good homes with nice people.  They deserve that.  How sweet is that?  From someone that was so against me fostering them to him worrying about who will adopt them.  He is a keeper!

Gotta scoot...Runt Runt wants food!

Tammy

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking like a kitten and not a bat is certainly improvement. And wow!! Your husband wants to keep one of the kittens? They sure have won him over, completely. Haha.

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At what age do they get weaned from the mama kitty?  All of them except for Runt Runt dont want the bottle much anymore.  Maybe once or twice in 24hours.  They are eating both the gruel and the hart kitten food.  They wont touch the hard kitten food if I soften it.  So I have put a handful in a small low bowl and they eat on that as well as the soft gruel.  Im just not sure if they should be off the bottle or not at this age. 

I do have a small bowl of fresh water in with them at all times and they do drink that.  They also like to scare me by trying to drink out of the self watering bowl I have for the other kitties and dog.  I get worried they are going to fall in!  It is not deep and they could get out easily but I dont want them to get chilled.  I figure that the 4 are around 5 to 6 weeks.  That is my best guess though since no one really knows but the shelter said they were 3 weeks when I brought them home on the 8th. 

Thanks for helping me so much.  I am so lucky to be able to come here and get so much advice and encouragement!

Tammy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens wean at different ages, but once they begin solids, even kittens with moms reduce nursing to a fraction of what it was before. It frequently becomes comfort suckling.

I am delighted to hear that the runt is now over 8 ounces, and that the others are doing well also. Your husband has really done an about-face, which is admirable, to say the least.

It's wonderful to hear such a lovely report :).

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Evening!

Sorry I have not posted in awhile...life gets going fast!

Anyway.  We took Runt runt to the vet because she just was not getting any better.  He started her on Clavamox and different eye drops.  She was up to 10 ounces on 10/1/15.  Eating, running and playing finally!  (Let me tell you what a circus that was to get her seen!  Hubby suggested that we take her and just pay for it ourselves.  I called the vet...nope have to have permission from the shelter to treat her.  Wait 2 days for that...then take her in.  The vet staff said do you want the bill to take to the shelter?  I said no..we are paying for it.  They looked at me like I was nuts.  The shelter staff didnt call to see what the outcome was or anything.)

Now the bad news...well not bad but Im not sure what to call it.

As you know we went away for the weekend.  I dropped off the kittens to the shelter on 10/2 and they older ones were staying there with extra care from the staff while we were away. 

Runt runt went home with a staff member who was fostering another kitten the same size.  On the same antibiotics and same feeding schedule.  I texted her tonight telling her that I would be in to pick up the kittens tomorrow at 11:30am. 

She texted me back that she was at the shelter having her foster put down because he stopped eating, had diarrhea, sleeping all day and then couldnt walk and was gasping/writhing to breath.  She said she hopes that Runt runt doesnt catch it.

Now Im scared to bring her home and expose my house cats as well as the rest of the foster kitties to what he had. 

What do you all say?  I just am not sure what to do at this point. 

Tammy

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you bring runt runt home you will need to quarantine her. If she stays with the shelter woman, she may be exposed longer to the illness - some germs can last months. Have these kittens received the 3 in 1 shots yet?

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have not had any shots.  All of mine have had theirs and are up to date.  The shelter does not vaccinate until they are adopted.  I dont agree with that but I cant no change it.  I wonder if I ask them to vaccinate them since I am bringing them home if they would.  Cant hurt to ask right?

I will let you know how it turns out.

When I told hubby he said to me.  "Do you trust them to take care of her if she does get sick?"  I said "No."

He then told me "Well then she is coming home and we will take care of her if/when she gets sick."  

I know that my kitties having their shots will protect them.  I do let them around the kittens but that was before Runt runt had this exposure.  The other kittens that are in the group I am fostering were not around this kitten that got sick so they have not been exposed.  I will see what the shelter says tomorrow.  I can keep her isolated in the downstairs bathroom for a while to see if she gets sick.  But I sure wish I knew what it was.  That would make it so much easier.

Tammy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it could be panleukopenia from the symptoms you described. It is highly contagious, and often fatal in young kittens, as they have no reserves to fight it.

The good news is that your runt is already on antibiotics, and had been eating well, so she may be in a better position to fight the infection should she get it.

I think bringing the Runt home is best, as she already knows you, and you know what care she needs as well. She must be quarantined until you see no evidence of illness.

Here is a link that describes panleukopenia:

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cat-panleukopenia

Let us know how she's doing.

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since my house kitties are vaccinated against this, they can not catch it?  The way I read it was that the foster kittens would be at risk from Runt if she has it. 

Am I reading that correctly?

Tammy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's my understanding, if it is indeed panleukopenia, and if your cats have had their distemper shots. I would still keep them all separated for a couple of weeks.

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly Sweet little Runt Runt was sent to the rainbow bridge today.  She had been vomitting all syringe feedings for 48 hours.  The vet said the kindest thing we could to would be to let her go.  I snuggled with her today before her appt.  The look in her eyes told me it was time, she was tired of fighting. 

I kissed her sweet little head and told her I would see her again.  She closed her eyes and sighed in contentment.   Hubby was crying, as well as myself and the staff.  I still am. 

I know that I cant save them all but I so wanted her to get stronger and have a wonderful home. 

Tammy

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Tammy, I'm so sorry to hear about little Runt Runt! :hugs:
You are doing an amazing thing and runt runt was loved in life and had you and your husband to mourn her death. Without you she wouldn't have had that. [emoji]128149[/emoji]
Again, so sorry for your loss. RIP little runt runt, run free...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I'm glad she was with you when this happened. She must have contracted the panleukopenia. I was hoping it would skip her.

How are your other kittens doing? I believe you were keeping them separated. Please sanitize and bleach everything that Runt Runt touched so the virus doesn't spread.

Last edited:

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far the other kittens are doing well.  Wolfie's left eye has some drainage but I am on top of the with medicated eye drops and oral antibiotics.  She already looks better than yesterday.

I woke up last night at 1am and started downstairs to feed Runt Runt.  Then I remembered she was gone.  I peaked in on the babies and they were all snuggled together snoozing away.  I started to cry for the empty place Runt Runt was.  Stupid diseases.  I pray that she is healthy, happy and running amok at the bridge waiting for me to get there. 

I didnt imagine this would hurt so bad. 

Tammy

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry on the loss of baby Runt Runt.
I have been following your thread and you are truly amazing! I hope all the other kitties are doing well. It is very sad about Runt Runt though. I cry when I read these posts. I was so hoping he would be strong enough to fight the disease and be okay. He knew happiness, warmth and love, all thanks to you and your husband. He was important and his life meant something. He knew he was wanted and loved and that is all any of us want.
RIP Sweet Runt Runt!
You were greatly loved and will be missed!

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news!

We are keeping the grey tabby and all the other kitties have homes.  In fact they are going to them tonight.  The shelter said that since we have had them so long that there will not be an adoption fee for any of them!  The homes they are going to are wonderful, they will be spoiled indoor kitties.  The black tabby has a sister to get used to and the other two black/grey ones are going together.  The also will be spoiled indoor kitties.  I am so happy =)

It was hubbies ideas to keep Big Boy.  That is what he calls the grey tabby.  Its so cute so see them together =)

Gotta scoot and get the other two ready for their new homes.  My soul is singing right now!

Tammy