Kitten Can't Poop, Has Big Belly

blessedwindz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my 4 month old kitten has diarrhea, his tummy became big and hard. Then I took him to the vet and they gave him some injections along with some digestive ferment stuff to take (sorry I don't know the right word for it). As he took the injections for 2 days, I noticed that he rarely poop (once a day, or a couple), which is probably the cause for his big belly.

I immediately told the vet but they insist that it's not a problem and the treatment will stay the same,the only thing I have to do is keep massaing his belly, when he can poop then everything is solved. Now it's 4th day and he hasn't take poop since yesterday even though he has been eating a lot. And his tummy hasn't get any smaller either :(

As I'm living in the countryside, the vet quality here is low so I don't really trust them.

I know a warm towel should do the trick for newborn kitten, but is the any similar method for this case? I fear that I might lose him at this rate :(

Iamelloyello

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 week old kitten had some trouble pooping due to stress of me bringing him home. Now, this isn't going to be fun-- but I would try massaging his lower belly and bum with a warm towel if he will let you. This should stimulate the bowel. This is a short term solution... I would attempt to seek a different vet if you think your vet isn't doing their job

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he poop a good amount yesterday? My cats only poop once a day.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You can add some olive oil to his food, or try an infant suppository. What did the vet say the cause of his diarrhea was? Did they do a fecal test?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, pooping once or twice a day is the normal. Unless its a really tiny amount. So in this way the vet has succeed.

Of course, yours massaging of tummy and using warm towels cant hurt and may even help, whatever it is.

So, IF the poo is normally much, the poo problem is OK now, but the tummy still big and hard?
So its something more going on.
Does he seems to be in pains?

Has he been dewormed? They often need deworming twice or even thrice, every 2-3 weeks in a row.

So a deworming comes into my mind. A couple of drops of flavorless simethicone - the same as for human babies, is often useful for these big bellies. (esp if its caused by much air inside)

If you think he is now constipated, you can give a couple three of drops of coldpressed olive or rapeseed oil into his food. Almost any oil will do, but coldpressed is healthy food by itself.

B blessedwindz