Kitten but not gaining weight

Luna and Loki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat recently gave birth on Sunday October 1st, and since then we have been struggling with one of the baby kittens. She has no clue how to latch on or maybe she doesn't want to. We started giving her milk replacement on Monday, as soon as we noticed the problem.

She eats well from the little bottle, until her belly is full. But for some reason she is still the same size from when she was born. She moves around and is getting stronger, but for some reason she just doesn't grow. Her siblings are double her size.

What could I be doing better? Or am I doing something wrong? Anything helps, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna and Loki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not, we do not have a small scale. But it is very visible that she is staying behind and not where she should be. Are you suggesting that maybe she is growing at a slower pace? Thank you for your reply!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you buy a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams? Weighing her daily is the only way to know if she is gaining properly. Once we know her weight, we can tell you how much to feed each 24 hours. You’ll be able to see in grams how much she gains daily.

In the meantime, how much does she eat at one feeding in mLs? How often do you feed her? Which brand formula do you use? Is it powdered or pre-mixed?

A week-old kitten this tiny needs feeding every 2 hours around the clock. This means setting a clock through the night to get up and feed. It’s tiring for sure, but absolutely must be done.

L Luna and Loki

Luna and Loki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will purchase one, definitely! We usually just feed her until she has the big round belly, and we have been getting up every 2-3 hours, as sometimes she doesn't want to eat after two hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please let me know her weight as soon as possible, and also let me know how many mLs of formula she is getting in a 24-hour period.

Also, do you stimulate her to pee and poop before and after each meal?

L Luna and Loki

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Will this help?

Runt of a Cat Litter: Health Advice from a Vet - Cat-World.
I find it very hard to believe that Maggie was the last born because she was still being nursed unlike her 4 siblings. At least, im guessing. Was she already being picky about food? She is long and skinny with curvy hips. 10 yrs old now. Big cat at a healthy 9.5 pds

Last edited:

Luna and Loki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not, how would I do that? its my first time caring for kittens this small. I used to have dogs but those you nurse one day then they are fine😅 still super willing to put in the effort for this little gal though, she has everyone's hearts already

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our cat recently gave birth on Sunday October 1st, and since then we have been struggling with one of the baby kittens. She has no clue how to latch on or maybe she doesn't want to. We started giving her milk replacement on Monday, as soon as we noticed the problem.

She eats well from the little bottle, until her belly is full. But for some reason she is still the same size from when she was born. She moves around and is getting stronger, but for some reason she just doesn't grow. Her siblings are double her size.

What could I be doing better? Or am I doing something wrong? Anything helps, thank you!
You got already some useful advices, and hints.
Re a scale: you can perhaps borrow a scale from a neighbour??

What kmr are you giving her? Some, alike Hartz, are known to be less good, and some batches of Hartz are really bad.

Can you get raw goats milk? Almost any goats milk is OK to use. Not better than a good kmr, but still often useful alternative.
But RAW goats milk, although pricey, may have some potential advantages... After all, its milk from an alive momma,no?

Ps. You seems to do well on your own, Im a little surprised the kitten doesnt add... My guess is she add, although less then siblings...
Siblings perhaps adds 20+ grams a day, the runt perhaps 8-10... If you arent very experienced, you will have difficult to notice the raise.
That is why a good scale is practically a must for all whom arent very experienced rescuers or breeders.

Luna and Loki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No yes, I shall get a scale first thing tomorrow morning. It's PetAg, the brand for the milk replacement. We got the powder one. She is always hungry too, it's crazy how she just doesn't latch on. But yes, you guys are probably right and she is gaining weight, just very little at a time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the bottle gives mLs on it, tell me that. If it only gives ounces, give me that number and I will convert it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No yes, I shall get a scale first thing tomorrow morning. It's PetAg, the brand for the milk replacement. We got the powder one. She is always hungry too, it's crazy how she just doesn't latch on. But yes, you guys are probably right and she is gaining weight, just very little at a time.
PetAg in powder is supposed to be very good, one of the best.

You can use a trick. Instead of diluting with water, you can dilute with pedialyte. (flavorless pedialyte for babies).
The point is, pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, and so baby will get some extra calories for free.

IF you get hold of goats milk, you can dilute with goats milk too;
but instead of the usual ratio 1:2 you use ratio 1:3 (or some compromise if you mix both goats milk and pedialyte with this kmr)