Kitten brought back to me in bad shape

cinngirl70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone...I just got done rehomiing 4 7-8 week old kittens whom I rescued (strays) I tell everyone to bring them back if it doesn't work out. Yesterday, I got a frantic call that a kitten who I sent out Wednesday was very lethargic. They said she woke up like that yesterday morning. I said bring her immediately and was handed a pathetic kitten, skin and bones, couldn't hold her own head up. I thought for sure she would die but started syringe feeding formula, pedialyte, and later some baby food. She awoke in the middle of the night and consumed a large bowl of kitten chow. She woke several times throught and ate and peed each time. This morning she is purring, playing, although very wobbly and thin. Eating like everyone 2 hours. So much better than lastnight so I think she's going to make it.
These people seemed perfect. They took her to the vet I use last Thursday and she was fine. They brought numerous supplies and toys with her and I see pics of a happy kitten on Facebook from only 2 days ago. What could've happened?? I can't figure it out. To me it's clear she wasn't getting food, formula, or water. I don't get it! How long does it take a 1 1/2 pound 7-8 week old kitten to emaciate?? They said thus happened overnight.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think if they are only feeding dry and the kitten has low thirst drive this can happen.

I know nothing about cats, but in rabbits they will hide being sick until they aren't strong enough to hide it anymore. Are cats like that? If so it is possible they really didn't see the signs until the kitten was really sick.

Do you think she got into something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinngirl70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wondered if she got into something. But she is clearly improving with food and fluids. It's true, she will not take water or formula that I've seen unless I syringe feed it. When she left me last Wednesday she was drinking in her own.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My take on what happened here with the kitten is she became dehydrated, and it happens very fast in kittens, takes only a day. They have small bodies but also very little reserves, and her symptoms point clearly to dehydration.

You must have gotten her back just before the point of no return, when her organs begin to fail and have permanent damage, which is fatal.

Kittens lack immunity to the endless viruses out there, most people really don't know how many there are, because an adult cat or a fully vaccinated young cat is not affected by them, but a young unvaccinated kitten is, to all of them.

They need a vaccine asap. Then another 3-4 weeks later. Then again, for a series of 3 in a row, 3-4 weeks apart.

Then at 1 year, and they are good for several years.

If you can't afford a vet visit, they have low cost vaccine clinics at pet/feed supply stores. You also must have deworming, as all kittens have roundworms.

Even if the adopters didn't have her outside, they can bring viruses in on their shoes just as easily.

Kitten will be fine now, but it will happen again if not given vaccines.

A minor virus can kill a kitten due to dehydration, if they start not feeling so well, lose play interest, don't feel like eating and sleep mostly, it only takes a day for them to become emaciated and headed downhill. This can be fixed as soon as it's noticed by giving water or pediolyte asap :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinngirl70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Would the kitten look emaciated from one day of dehydration? I had her to the vet and she was dewormed before I sent her. She is due for second dewormer on May 31. However, I will be taking her tomorrow to see if she is indeed recovering. I don't know if the vet will vaccinate tomorrow, she was too little last time.