Kitten bloated belly after worming and coccidia treatment

here kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am new to the group, I could use your advice! I recently bought an exotic kitten from a breeder on Oct. 15th. When I picked up the kitten, I noticed right away he was small. He was supposed ton be 12 weeks old but he looked more like 6 weeks. I did confirm with the breeders vet that the kitten had been wormed twice, and tested negative for felv and fiv.  As for his small size, the breeder told me that his mother always has small kittens and his size was normal. When I got him home, he had diarrhea and it was bloody. I weighed him and he was just 1.5 lbs. Then I also noticed a few other things. His belly was bloated, he was not interested in playing, and he didn't have much of an appetite. In fact, he didn't even have his bottom and top front teeth yet (and still doesn't)! So I wormed him, and the blood cleared up, but he still had diarrhea. So then, I had the vet do a fecal exam. The exam showed that the kitten was loaded with coccidia, so I was sent home with Albon treatment.

That brings us to today. He is nearly finished with the Albon, and his diarrhea has gone away. He has been on probiotics as well. He is also more playful and active now, and eating like a PIG...his weight has gone up to two pounds, but his belly is as big and bloated as ever!!! Could it be that he is simply over eating? He does seem to gorge himself in my opinion. Or could this be something much worse, like FIP? That is my worst fear! It seems like if he were very ill, he would act like he feels bad, but he acts fine. But then, I did read that many FIP cats can be asymptomatic, showing nothing but perhaps stunted growth and a distended abdomen. I have already spent a significant amount of money and cannot return to the vet for a week and a half. Is there anything else I can do to see if his belly will go down?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

here kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, about his teeth... Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 12 to 15 week old kitten not having it's bottom and top front teeth? And last night, I put the food away before bed to see if his belly would go down overnight. It did go down and was not AS huge and hard, but it was still a pot belly. And of course, when I sat the food down this morning he ate until his belly was bloated huge and hard again :/

here kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: The kitten just finished his coccidia treatment, and I decided to try worming him just one last time before going to the vet with this problem. I gave the wormer last night, and this morning, the kittens belly had gone down to almost normal! It did go back up after eating, but still not nearly as bad as it was!. I think it may be safe to say he must have had parasites all along. I can't say why the worming didn't work the 1st couple of times and is working now, but perhaps it has something to do with the fact that he had coccidia before and is free of it now? I don't know, but I think this means my little guy may be on the road to recovery. I am keeping a close eye on him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news, I'm so happy for you! You might want to contact the vet before you worm again and see which wormer is the best, your kitten may have had a worm that the wormer didn't cover. It's always good to bring a sample in to see what you are dealing with. Also, a lot of medicines don't cover tapeworms, which is what my cats get from eating rabbits and I use a topical wormer that you apply to the back of the neck called Profender. I order it over the internet with my vets ok, and it takes care of everything in one application, not two. I love it! Youre kitten may very well be bloated because of his 'heavy' eating, I'm happy to hear he IS eating like that! Good luck, and here's to many happy years!

Last edited:

here kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks :) I was thinking the same thing. I need to see about getting a better wormer.