Kitten Biting

rileyslife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bella bites. She's 13 weeks. She bites if you pet her and she's had enough, if she's got night crazies or if she's playful. You never know when it's going to happen. How should we redirect?

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sometimes its best to ignore when biting. do let her know you don't like it by hissing at her, or saying loudly no, or ouch. 

at night time you might want to kick her out of the room if you see she's biting. soon she'll realize this is undesired behavior

what i used to do, was when my cat used to go into a biting frenzy, i just pinched her. i tried to make sure it wasn't hurting her, but it kinda has to. so she will associate her biting me with her getting pinched.

with my other cat charlier, at the first nip i would get up and walk away, come back with his wand toy and play with him till he tires out.

what out for body language when petting your cat. ears back, tail twitching are signs that kitty has had enough petting, and its always better to put kitty down or walk away when you notice this body language. never forcefully hold kitty down and pet her.

she's young still and has a lot of energy. try playing with her multiple times in a day, tiring her own each time, especially before bed. it helps.

hellomisslady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After 3 weeks, we got our kitten of the same age to stop with the night crazies biting. He used to like to sneak up on us and bite us while sleeping because he wanted to play. It is the most frustrating 2-3 weeks of your life. I can't even lie about that. But they LEARN! Slowly but surely..

There's a few things you can do to lower the instances. 

1. Get on a feeding schedule. Don't let him graze all day like a cow. 

2. Play with him 15 mins before bed and make sure its rough play. Break out the teaser or the laser and make kitty run from one end of the house to the other. 

3. This one the vet told us..  and it sounds crazy but it really works for our easy going & non-aggressive but hyper active kitty. So this may not work for you if he gets aggressive easily. But if he is getting out of control. Take a warm blanket and burrito him up and hold him close to you and blow on his face if he gets crazy. My cat would fall asleep in 10 minutes or less doing that. Don't smother him with the blanket. Just enough to make him feel safe and warm. 

Like another post said, lightly pinching has worked for us. When he bites, pinch the skin on his neck like his mom would. They hate it. Don't hit him because it will just make him scared of you. When you do it, say "no!" every time. This also helps them learn the word "no." 

So now whenever my naughty cat is sneaking up on me, and we catch him. we say "No!".. and he usually just leaves or plays with another toy. 

Hope it helps!!