Kitten Biting Me And Other Kittens With Force

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a three months old kitten who I got at the age of five weeks and I weaned him by myself.
He loves to cuddle and is ok around other kittens from different litters who joined him this month and are older than him by two months.
But it seems like part of his playing is biting me and other kittens with a force that hurts me and make the other kittens scream and move away from him.
What can I do to end this annoying and possibly dangerous habit?

Lilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you are playing with your kitten do not rough play and do not use your hand. There are many cat toys. My cat loves ping pong balls.
Discourage your kitten from biting. Eventually you will know when he wants to bite, be ready and do not accept this behavior. If he gets into an agressive mood put a towel or small rug between you so that he can't attack you. Maybe put him alone in a quiet room to calm down.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one like this too. During early development they learn that biting hard hurts while playing with siblings. 5 to 8 weeks is when they start hurting each other accidentally and in that way learn to play more gently. Babies that are separated from their litters get over stimulated. Finding an alternative plaything like a stuffed animal should help a little. Also when they get overstimulated sometimes it is just best to put them in time out. Crating is not a punishment and can be soothing as long as it is for short periods and doesn't cause stress.
Getting the kitten neutered might help too. As he starts coming into his testosterone he will become aggressive too.

anziani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat recently starting biting HARD on my arms. He is about 5 years old and is very affectionate. It is almost a Jekyll and Hyde situation. Haven't figured out what sets him off and why he is doing it now after living here a year. I don't want to return him as he had a poor life until I showed up. My arms look like I ran them through a meat grinder. Luckily, I don't seem to be allergic to his bite. What about caps for his incisors?

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're already doing half of it - the other kittens will correct his behavior by walking away and "fighting" back to let him know his behavior is unacceptable.

You have to discourage him in a similar way - when he bites you, say "No" or "ow" fairly loudly and disengage from him completely. Disengaging can be hard - those cute little buggers can wrap around your arm or leg and hold on like there is no tomorrow! Just gently get him off.

Also, once he is fixed, he will calm down a little too.

Google "How to stop my kitten from biting" there are a lot of videos and articles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you are playing with your kitten do not rough play and do not use your hand. There are many cat toys. My cat loves ping pong balls.
Discourage your kitten from biting. Eventually you will know when he wants to bite, be ready and do not accept this behavior. If he gets into an agressive mood put a towel or small rug between you so that he can't attack you. Maybe put him alone in a quiet room to calm down.
There are many toys for him in different sizes and shapes. He bites a soft toy which is around his current size that looks like a camel and sometimes he bites and grabs the toy down stairs and returns to his room up with it.
I'm afraid that this biting habit is because he lost his mother too early and didn't have other kittens around to play with.

I have one like this too. During early development they learn that biting hard hurts while playing with siblings. 5 to 8 weeks is when they start hurting each other accidentally and in that way learn to play more gently. Babies that are separated from their litters get over stimulated. Finding an alternative plaything like a stuffed animal should help a little. Also when they get overstimulated sometimes it is just best to put them in time out. Crating is not a punishment and can be soothing as long as it is for short periods and doesn't cause stress.
Getting the kitten neutered might help too. As he starts coming into his testosterone he will become aggressive too.
I have another male who is five months old. I know his mother because he was born in my yard and stayed with her until he finished his third month.
He is very gentle and playful without any aggression. He is also not neutered yet.
I guess this is the normal outcome when they stay around the mother for 12 weeks.

Our cat recently starting biting HARD on my arms. He is about 5 years old and is very affectionate. It is almost a Jekyll and Hyde situation. Haven't figured out what sets him off and why he is doing it now after living here a year. I don't want to return him as he had a poor life until I showed up. My arms look like I ran them through a meat grinder. Luckily, I don't seem to be allergic to his bite. What about caps for his incisors?
Sorry to hear about this. Maybe something is bothering him like illness or territorial issues?

You're already doing half of it - the other kittens will correct his behavior by walking away and "fighting" back to let him know his behavior is unacceptable.

You have to discourage him in a similar way - when he bites you, say "No" or "ow" fairly loudly and disengage from him completely. Disengaging can be hard - those cute little buggers can wrap around your arm or leg and hold on like there is no tomorrow! Just gently get him off.

Also, once he is fixed, he will calm down a little too.

Google "How to stop my kitten from biting" there are a lot of videos and articles.
Yeah I try to move away and say "ouch". I still don't see any change in his behavior but I will wait and see since he is still so young and spent a very important part of his growth with me without any other kitten company. Maybe spending more time with the other two kittens while growing up will let him know the proper way to play.